What to do with my new to me rifle?

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
I got a very nice Remington 700 bdl rifle in a trade. Uses 30-06 ammo, perfect for hunting deer, elk, etc. It's in immaculate condition, not a scratch or ding anywhere. It has a pretty nice scope on it. This type of weapon is not my type, as I don't hunt and I'd really prefer my cash out of it. Questions: where to sell? Do I need a license or permit to sell? To ship? Thoughts? Questions? Thx.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
757_supra;1999840 said:
I got a very nice Remington 700 bdl rifle in a trade. Uses 30-06 ammo, perfect for hunting deer, elk, etc. It's in immaculate condition, not a scratch or ding anywhere. It has a pretty nice scope on it. This type of weapon is not my type, as I don't hunt and I'd really prefer my cash out of it. Questions: where to sell? Do I need a license or permit to sell? To ship? Thoughts? Questions? Thx.

Sales laws vary by state so we can't really advise that without knowing your location.

Shipping is done through an FFL (read: gun shop) for a (normally) small fee.

You may want to call up a local gun shop and see how they handle used sales. If you're completely unfamiliar with local laws it may be best to sell it to a dealer and let them handle the legal side.

Colorado recently went through a major change where you can no longer sell private party firearms. Prior to that you could sell it like any other object, provided you have no knowledge that the buyer isn't "unable to purchase a firearm". Now, I believe everything must be done through a dealer with a regular background check.