What filter to use with filter relocatation?

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
I am doing my oil filter relocation along with a cooler upgrade, and know I have seen some chatter about what larger filter to use to make complete use of the extra space gained by relocating the filter. My question is, what filter is that? I am thinking it is a toyota truck filter, but am not sure and need to figure out, and my engine will be going in in the next month or so. Let me know guys.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You need to read this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

The only Toyota filter I would ever use is the Denso Japan filters...the Thailand filters are crap.

The only thing a larger filter will do for you is increase the capacity to hold more particulates...basically it will last longer. If you want to run a larger size filter it needs these things:
- Same size thread (3/4-16)
- Same or greater flow rating (7-9 GPH)
- Same bypass valve setting (8-11 psi)...you can go a little higher on this as well

I like Wix filters...read the link and you will see why.

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
I've actually read that thread. I thought I remembered their being some sort of filter for a truck that was a larger capacity. I want the extra capacity, especially on this first oil change, as the engine has been sitting at least two years, and after this refresh I'm sure some stuff will be dislodged.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i would go with a double if your looking to increase capacity and maximize filtration (if u use a trasko as the second filter).
just my .02