trying to bring '89 back to life

SupraSabre

Older Then Most
Jan 17, 2007
Murrieta, CA
www.hamptonrpi.com
Hi all, I have an '89 Supra N/A, that just before buying it 3 years ago, the previous owner had the engine rebuilt (badly I might add), so after parking in the driveway last May, I bought an JDM engine for it and had one of my sons install it for me over Christmas holidays. Once we got the engine going, we found out that the (auto) tranny was bad! :3d_frown:

So I took it in to the place I bought the engine and had them put a JDM tranny in it. That was $840 installed, which I didn't think was too bad. As I was driving it home, the exhaust gaskets between the manifold and the cat became noisy ( I have another set, just need the time to install) plus the radiator started leaking (Radiator was new when I bought the car) along with the fact the heater is not working now. I've invested about $4K into it already and everytime I turn around, it seems something else is not working...it's starting to drive me nuts! :aigo: I know, I know...it's 18 years old so what did you expect!

This is my second Supra, I had bought one years ago and had to replace the head gasket on it. It ran great for about 5 years (two of those years another son drove it) and then the tranny went on it (along with many other things..) so we got rid of it and bought this one.

The '89 is in nice shape for the mileage (202K), and now with low mileage engine and tranny, I'm hoping it will run for a long while...although my son wants to buy this one from me too, if we can figure out the heater issue.... :eek:

So I've come on to the forum so I can find out little goodies to help me get it back on the road. Oh yeah, it already passed smog! :bigthumb:

Bob

Last edited: