Thought I would get my posts up!

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Well I thought that I would do the Hello thing… Read some of the posts and had a good laugh, some really excellent one liners! I especially like the pictures….. I have already purchased some parts from one of the Bro’s really great being here!

Anyway, here are some pics of my Ebay purchase. $330 drove down and picked her up. Great body, needs a little TLC on the interior and a BHG!. My third one, I had a 89 turbo targa a number of years back, then an 85 for a “winter beater”. Ripped a 1 “ wide 4” inch hole in the oil pan, and drove it home (winter hidden curb ploy). Replaced it and got 2 years out of her…

Anyway, back to the project, as I did not know the overall condition of the car, I wanted to get it running as cheap as possible and see if it’s worth it. The car was in CT, towed it back to Montreal. Did a compression test , here are the results 30 psi in #1, 2, 3, 4 (did not hold and 125 in 5 and 6. Did not start duh!.

Ripped it apart and found, I was really surprised…., a BHG! Disassembly occurred shortly after. See the pics of the gasket. I think that the previous Owner torqued to the standard torque of 25 ft lbs. Lol. Anyway sent out the head and was quoted $700 for the labor to restore (they said overheated). Anyway, FU@k that, I sent it to another place, they washed, checked the straightness and pressure tested for $150. They said that it was fine, so……. Install.

The job went OK except for the temperature (I was outside in my driveway) about 37 degrees F, there was ice on top of the water on the driveway from overnight. Man knuckles hurt bad when you pound them with a pull of a hose or slip of a wrench! (No beer, just coffee )

The engine started after about 5 revolutions (suspect lag of fuel coming into the system), ran a bit rough (messed up the vacuum hoses, I did a turbo the last time, and thought that this would be easier, well..no). Used your helpful website to find the proper connections now running great….except for the freaking hose that connects from the back of the head to the block for the coolant. My girlfriend installed it and did not clamp it at the head connection. After a drive I noticed the smoke and well, I wasn’t impressed, but I have to give her credit for coming out and freezing her nuts off (well maybe not) helping me throw things together.

Driving into work today with the Sup and see how she does on the highway. If all is well, it’s a long winter here to do some more fixin’ up.

Well that’s it for now.

Dave