The Legend Returns! March 6, 2018

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Re: The Legend Returns!

I know the concept has been talked about a lot over the years but personally to call it a Supra it should have a

- slightly improved 2jz but remain a inline 6...3jz ;)
- rear wheel drive
- manual transmission

I know it probably will be all the opposite (besides the rear wheel drive) but what do you think will be the power plant and drive train under this thing will be? Hybrid?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca

As far as I understand, or have read, or believe, it will be a twin turbo inline-6, non-hybrid and RWD. The manual transmission is rumoured to be available in the BMW version (updated Z4), but that the Supra will only be getting an auto/paddle-shift. :(

Still, as long as the manual transmission parts exist, I'll be happy, haha.

Jeff

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Reston, Virginia, United States

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/mkv-toyota-supra-dimensions-specs-leaked-in-best-car-magazine.737/

Scans from the March issue of Japan's Best Car magazine.

MKV
Wheelbase 2,470 mm (97.2 in)
Length 4380 mm (172.4 in)
Width 1855 mm (73 in)
Height 1,290 mm (50.8 in)
Curb weight 1,496 kg (3,284 lb)
Engine: 3.0L turbo inline-six with 335 hp and 332 lb-ft, plus 37 lb-ft overboot.
Transmission: 8 speed auto transmission.
Tires: 225/50/17 front, 255/45/17 rear

Compare to the old model:

MKIV
Wheelbase 2,550 mm (100.4 in)
Length 4,515 mm (177.8 in)
Width 1,811 mm (71.3 in)
Height 1,265 mm (49.8 in)
Curb weight 1,510 kg (3,329 lb) (non-turbo) 1,570 kg (3,461 lb) (turbo)

Differences
Wheelbase -80 mm (-3.2 in)
Length -135 mm (-5.4 in)
Width +44mm (+1.7 in)
Height +25 mm (+1 in)
Curb weight -74 kg (-177 lb)

supramkv-bestcar-1.jpg
supramkv-bestcar-3.jpg
043.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com

If it really comes out with a TT I-6 and a true manual transmission it'd be the first car I'd actually be considering buying new. Sans manual though... meh.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI

JL7mgte, the Japanese magazine appears to just be showing the FT-1 concept from 2014.
https://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/

Though some of the design features appear to be carrying over to the "New Supra" or whatever they decide to call it.
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/20...th-production-lights-amidst-gazoo-rumors.679/

It will be interesting to see what the final vehicle specs actually are when they release them.
I will be pleasantly surprised if they actually use an I6 engine.

suprarx7nut, I don't believe they will offer a manual with this vehicle.
Unless the predictions are wrong, which would also be a surprise.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada

BMW straight 6, auto trans. So, no, not really a Supra. It better not have a trunk. If the Z4 can have a manual, there's no reason other than marketing that the Supra can't have it.

I'm solidly in the "meh" group. I find the current Toyota line up boring, and I don't expect them to make any waves with this new car.

They will definitely have to price it right, there's a lot of competition at that horsepower level. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, BMW 335 (or whatever the current numbers are), 370Z, etc.

If I can walk into a Ford dealer and pick up a V8 460hp car for CDN$40k, there is very little chance I'm going to pay $50k for a Supra with less power. Yes, there's a weight difference, but the Mustang still does 0-60 in 4 seconds. Not slow by any means. Years ago, when Mustangs were utter garbage, maybe, but now, all of the cars in this range are getting very good.

supranaut

Rock'n Death with Spikes
Apr 5, 2005
STL

In the marketing scheme, it falls under the Z4. BMW motor, interior and colors. Meh is right! It pretty much a 370Z...we shall see in March.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca

If I can walk into a Ford dealer and pick up a V8 460hp car for CDN$40k, there is very little chance I'm going to pay $50k for a Supra with less power. Yes, there's a weight difference, but the Mustang still does 0-60 in 4 seconds. Not slow by any means. Years ago, when Mustangs were utter garbage, maybe, but now, all of the cars in this range are getting very good.

Pricing is key for this car I think. The MKIV ended up pricing itself out of the market back in the 90's, it would be a shame if they made the same mistake twice.

I also think the collaborative effort on this car may turn off some Supra enthusiasts, but a good car is a good car, so if they can make something that works and is priced right, it could be a good car. It will not be the same car as the A70 or A80, those days are behind us. This car exists in the current automotive marketplace and it needs to play by those rules (design, safety, emissions, pricing, marketing and otherwise). Despite what Supra enthusiasts say, if you were to start up the production line for the A80 today and start selling them again (if you would actually be allowed to sell the car), I don't know how many of them would actually move. Sure there are people like you or I that would buy one somehow, but once that initial run, sales would likely drop like a rock. It would need significant updates to even be marketable today, not to mention the rest of the picture.

I lament the addition of all of the electronics and what it would mean to trying to modify the new car, but I still have hopes that it is something special on it's own and separate from the Supras of days gone by. It won't be the same car, but we'll see where it slots in.

I just want a new option that has a manual. My IS is aging.

We'll see in March; I hope there is some actual information an not just a racing concept that doesn't bear any real relation to the street car to follow.

Jeff

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI

Any word on if the BMW - Toyota joint venture will result in 2 different branded models of whatever this vehicle ends up being?

Similar to the Toybaru BRZ/FR-S/86 mashup.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca

Any word on if the BMW - Toyota joint venture will result in 2 different branded models of whatever this vehicle ends up being?

Similar to the Toybaru BRZ/FR-S/86 mashup.

I believe so, yes. BMW Z4 (or 5) and the Supra.

I expect more differences between them than the 86/BRZ though.

Heff

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada

There was an article awhile ago that described the Supra as having 4 tiers of performance. Gazoo Racing is tuning it, much like TRD used to.

"Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN"

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca

There was an article awhile ago that described the Supra as having 4 tiers of performance. Gazoo Racing is tuning it, much like TRD used to.

"Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN"

Possibly, however I don't believe the GR brand is currently planned for North America, so they may get other names/grades here.

Jeff