Replacement for a supra?

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
Hey guys,

If you could have another car thats similar to a supra (manual, rwd, sporty), what would it be?

I've been a toyota fan forever (2 supras, celica, corolla, 2 land cruisers), and now that I make enough money to where I can build my dream mk3, Im wondering if the headaches and time invested are worth it. I work 60 hrs a week and have 4 kiddos that I love to spend my free time with. When I see how affordable something like a camaro 1le is, Im wondering if I should just say screw it and buy a newer sports car. Of course the mk3 was my first real sports car and ill always love them.

Anyone ever had similar thoughts, and what car did you go or want to go with?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Off the top of my head:
Lotus Evora
or
Lancia Stratos

Though I doubt Stoschek will ever really make a new Stratos in any sort of production volume, it would be awesome if it was though.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Is big power or a sporty driving feel more important?

A feel like a FRS/BRZ/Toyota 86 would be a great choice if massive power isn't what you're looking for. Maybe a Corvette if you're looking for more power?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
BMW M235i/M240i would most likely be my suggestion. Driven a few, almost bought one but decided to do the engine swap on my IS instead. Still consider it from time to time, but now that I'm a student again, I'm poor, so probably won't happen, haha.

Jeff

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
Is big power or a sporty driving feel more important?

A feel like a FRS/BRZ/Toyota 86 would be a great choice if massive power isn't what you're looking for. Maybe a Corvette if you're looking for more power?

Both. Sporty but also has to have decent power (350-450hp). Rwd and manual a must. Nothing put a smile on my face like the rear end of my supra getting squirly coming out of a corner.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
BMW M235i/M240i would most likely be my suggestion. Driven a few, almost bought one but decided to do the engine swap on my IS instead. Still consider it from time to time, but now that I'm a student again, I'm poor, so probably won't happen, haha.

Jeff

Actually the 2 series is high on my list as well. Seems like the camaro has more value for money though. And I had thought your car was a 250 originally. How hard was the swap?

A7mgerunner: hahaha I know what you mean!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Careful here, nostalgia can be a powerful temptress. Now, while a Mk3 can be an awesome car when done right, they are a LOT of work. If you're looking in the 350-450whp range, a vvti 2jz swap in a Mk3, with appropriate suspension and brakes, can be done reasonably affordably.

Now... my suggestion, assuming that you are ok with only being able to take one passenger at any one time? LS3 swapped Miata. 525hp, 2500 lbs, rwd, manual, very sporty. If you wanna turn the wrenches yourself, $25k is entirely feasible. If you want Flyin Miata to do the work for you, you'd need about $50k and a donor car, but it's going to be a basically brand new car at that point, and VERY well done. It's what I would have done, if the Mk3 didn't have such a hold on my heart... and luggage space... and great road trip manners. Yeah... LS3 Miata. ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you want a car to work on, the mk3 is hard to beat. Lots of potential and tons of work. If you want a car to just drive there are probably more options than we have time to discuss, haha.