Redrider's Intro Thread

redrider

Aug 18, 2010
Utah
Ya tah hey Again,
This is my intro thread. WHoopie for me!! I have a 1986.5 Supra with 189k miles on it. It doesn't have a name yet. Although my name is red rider on this site. Redrider is my name because I plan to paint my supra black cherry metallic red when I finish it. I saw a car in SA, Texas with that paint with bright Chrome bumpers. My eyes about fell out it looked so fine!
Right now, I am thinking about just just putting the head back on my engine, put the rest back together with fancy new colored harness wires, maybe flourescent colored air tubing, replace all the new gaskets and seals that came with the gasket kit , get it running clean (hopefully this will come fast), reupholster or replace the seats and carpet in perhaps charcoal color, fix two dozen or so miscellaneous items, paint 'er up and sell it to somebody that wants a sweet looking car (with a lot of miles)!
This first car with a BHG. Once I get this under my belt, I think I'll try an engine rebuild.
In case you haven't noticed, winter is coming, and it's time to find shelter for the chidi (car). If anyone knows of a warm place in Tooele County, Utah for it, let me know. I don't want to go into "winter shut-down."

redrider

Aug 18, 2010
Utah
What a huge gap in time between posts! I decided to rebuild the engine, and have almost got everything back on it. Perhaps I should post a picture. I would appreciate a horrendous amount of "atta-boys," and not a lot of "man, are you slow!" At any rate, I've got a general question. I decided to put new motor mounts on the 7M-GE because it's got about 200k miles on it. Now the question:

What is the thickness of a new motor mount insulator supposed to be? I measured my current OE mount, and it's 1-7/8" thick. The lower washer between the mount and the base plate is 1/8" thick, for a total of 2". I got new insulators, but they are 2-1/16" thick! That's 3/16" difference in thickness! What is the thickness of a new motor mount insulator supposed to be? What is the purpose of the washer? I'm thinking, maybe I should take out the washer and not use it, to be closer to 2" thickness overall thickness with the new mount. Is it necessary to use the washer? Without the washer, the two mounts should be about 1/16" too long each. I don't think that should cause a problem with engine re-installation.
Also, I notice my TSRM said to install the engine by itself, not with the tranny connected. I don't know if that's good advice. Is it? From what I've been able to see, most everyone connects them first, then snakes them in the same time. Any comment? I'd appreciate yours.