Question for the open elbows

88tsupra

ok this may be a stupid quesiton but for the people who run open turbo elbow, do you guys take off the whole exhaust and dp or just unbolt the dp from the elbow?

88tsupra

and another Question: when using aircraft paint stripper, do you have to unmount the tires from the rims? will the paint stripper have a negative effect on the rubber?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i have a SS (same as becauseican) 3in DP, i like to take off my exhaust and leave just the downpipe, supported by the hangers right at the back of the tranny. keeps the fireballs out of the engine bay, the onlything you really risk running it like the way i do is possibly some damage to the center carrier bearing over time?

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
ya paint stipper is hella strong dude, personnally I wouldnt even risk it, take the tires off, cause u know what keeps you on the road ?? tires...just donht take the chance, thats some intense stuff...burns the hands like crazy

J

JerzeySlowpra

i have a 3 inch dump tube built into my DP, it has a door with 3 wing nuts, take the wing nuts and door off and you have an open DP with out disconnecting your cat back... summit sells them for like 30 bucks

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
nope, unless youre NA!

i wouldnt like to run just the stock turbo elbow and nothing else, youll end up melting whatever is in its way.

thats why id rather run open downpipe, even without a turndown i dont think theres too much in its path to get ruined.

88tsupra

CtSupra said:
i have a question too. wouldn't running an open elbow melt the firewall or heat up the engine bay more? I ran an open dp for a while, and it felt like the car lost some torque. an open elbow would just decrease torque even more, no?

if i remember correctly from a post from SF.com, BIC did some dyno testing with about 10rwhp gain from open DP but some lost in torque.

damn if paint stripper will hurt my rubber then i guess i'll just buy a whole lotta sand paper and get to sanding.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
88tsupra said:
and another Question: when using aircraft paint stripper, do you have to unmount the tires from the rims? will the paint stripper have a negative effect on the rubber?

Yeah remove the tires from the wheels. Not 100% but im Pretty sure it eats away at the rubber.