Profec A install write-up

CassMori

Boost Addict
Originally posted by ma71supraturbo on SF, thought it might be useful to have it here, where it's easier to find. Has been edited slightly :)

Profec A install write-up

This install would have been a breeze if I had just known a few key things missing in the instructions. And because the instructions were written to work for every single application, the information that was there was difficult to find quickly. So here is a write-up geared toward an internal wastegated mk3:

First, find a good place to mount the actuator (the cube with 3 vacume ports on one side, and 1 on the opposite side). I attached mine to the strut tower bar. Attach the vacuum hoses per these two diagrams:
(note: diagrams missing from post - Jeff if you have them still, can you insert/add them?)

I attached the #1 port to a the vacuum hose going to the bov (using a normal "t"), but any manifold line will work. Route the wiring harness to the cabin. I made a small cut to the rubber boot where the ECU harness passes through, and pushed the cable through. With the glovebox off, you should be able to pull the harness into the cab. You'll need to decide where you want to mount it -- I used a location under the heater controls. Wiring is very easy, everything clips right in except for two wires -- red and black. The black is ground, and the red wire needs to go to a switched power source. I tapped probbed the radio harness with a voltmeter and turned the key on/off until I found one.

Now, make sure the dip switches are set up correctly. They are labeled 4 3 2 1 from left to right. All should be up, except the last switch (labeled #1).

To set up the controller: Chances are you bought this used, so you will need to get the controller into "P1" mode. With the car running, hold the power switch for maybe 5 seconds until the display changes to P1. Now make a full throttle run in 3rd or 4th gear to get the max stock boost.

Push the power switch twice and it will go into "P2" mode. Make another full throttle run just like above. When you're finished, the display should read as boost gauge. If you get an EE message, try again. If you keep getting "EE" on the display, hold the overtake boost button for 5 seconds (top left button).

Now push the large volume knob in, and it should pop out. Turn it to set your desired base boost level and wait until the profec beeps before you push the volumn knob back in. Since the profec reads in kg/cm^2, I've made a little conversion table:

kg/cm2| 0 |_.1_|_.2_|_.3_|_.4__|_.5__|_.6_|_.7__|_.8__|_.9_|_1__|_1.1_|_1.2_|_1.3_|_1.4_|_1.5_|_1.6_|_1.7_|_1.8|_1.9_|2___
PSI___ | 0 |1.42|2.84|4.27|5.69 |7.11 |8.53 |9.96 |11.38|12.8|14.22|15.65|17.07|18.49|19.91|21.33|22.76|24.18|25.6|27.02|28.45

Next turn the small ratio dial. This will set your high boost level (overtake boost) as a ratio of your normal boost.

Moving to the next small dial, set the time you want the overtake mode to be on (up to 30 seconds if I recall correctly). The high boost mode is normally just used for short periods of time. But if you want to run in high boost for extended periods of time, hold the overtake boost button down for over 2 seconds (a small light will light up next to the OTB switch). Press that button again to go back into normal mode.

The last dial is called offset. If you make a 1.5 kg/cm2 run (21.3psi) and the profec reads 1.5, but your boost gauges reads 19psi, you can turn the offset dial to adjust the profec to match your boost gauge.

The profec has a warning feature which will light up and LED and sound an alarm when the boost exceeds your set level. If the overboost happens for more than a second, the profec will default back to stock boost. To adjust the warning alarm, press the overtake boost button and the power button at the same time. Then press the overtake button repeatedly until the display indicates the pressure you want to have the alarm at (I set mine for .2 kg/cm2over my overtake boost pressure).

To confirm your settings, press the power button for two seconds. You should see Ac (for actuator-type wastegate), then the normal boost setting, then the high boost setting, then the time for the high boost, and then the warning alarm boost setting.

If you turn the car on later, and get a CH display, that means a setting has been changed while the car was off. Press the power button once to see what setting has been changed, and press the power button again to accept the change.

links:

Profec A diagram (pdf)

Profec A diagram (html)

NOTE: these older links don't work anymore, but I've included them incase someone needs them for reference/searching

Diagrams
http://greddy.com/Technical/profec_frame.htm

Operation manual
http://greddy.com/technical/pdf/ProfecA.pdf

Jeff Gore '87 Hardtop Turbo 866-473-8600 (ext 110) http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com