Possible clutch slave cylinder went out

meekmeek

Jul 29, 2011
Augusta, GA
At first it would stick to the floor board and I would have to pull it out by hand and now its just stuck and there's brake fluid leaking inside down to the clutch pedal.. Am I right is it the slave cylinder? Is there a writeup on it anywhere?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
Assuming your problem isn't fixed...I would say its the clutch master cylinder that's leaking on your carpet sorry I don't know of.a write-up but the reservoir looking from the front of.car it would be to the right of the.brake fluid reservoir. The slave is connected to.the tranny. Good luck! Maybe try bleeding it first. Sounds like there could be air in.the system some where

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
well if you can visible see fluid leaking down your pedal then most definatly need to replace the clutch master but you should check the reservoir level

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
^ What these guys said. Your master cylinder literally bolts directly to the clutch pedal. You either have a rip or leak in the rubber seal for the piston that the clutch pedal engages, or somehow your line is leaking and it's getting in the car but that seems less likely.

Climb upside down under your dash with a flashlight and see if you can find the source of fluid. You're going to be looking for this, and the fluid is probably coming from the rubber piece I circled.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

If it is the master then go here and buy a new one. Pretty cheap fix.
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-clutchmastercylindersupra86-90.php

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Do yourself a favor and keep the pushrod going to your stock master cylinder. All others are normally too short for full clutch disengagement.

The removal is pretty simple, disconnect the line coming out of the master cylinder, remove the cotter pin and clevis bolt near the top of the clutch pedal inside the car, remove the two 12mm(IIRC) nuts from inside the car you'll probably need a 6" extension to reach the upper one and now you gently pull the old master cylinder out. Installation is reverse of removal and just make sure you bleed the clutch well.