My Car vs Cuda 440

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'm coming back from the video store tonight when this SWEEEEEET Cuda pulls out in front of me. I could hear the rumble over my stereo.

He turns right at the light and wouldn't you know that's the direction I was going.... ;) He eases out and stays in the right lane. I figure this thing is just going to destroy me; but, I figure...eh... So I boost past him and let him hear the bov.

He bites. He pulls up next to me and gives me these short little romps. Very loud, very deep, VERY IMPRESSIVE!

I put it in third and put it to the floor. It was perfect because my nose was even with his rear bumper so by the time I was at his door I was spooling.

He nails it!

It pulls slightly and I see his shift light come on and his auto tranny chirps the tires.

Then I couldn't believe my eyes! What was this?!?!?! My sup starts pulling on him. By the time I got to the top of third his front bumper was at my back bumper.

I slowed down and he pulls up next to me and gives me a huge smile and a thumbs up. I did likewise and we went on our way...

This is especially cool because I just got finished upgrading some things on the car. IC, IC Pipe, MAFT Pro, 550's, etc...

Ahhh......what a way to end a week... :D

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
CajunKenny;1410896 said:
I'm coming back from the video store tonight when this SWEEEEEET Cuda pulls out in front of me. I could hear the rumble over my stereo.

He turns right at the light and wouldn't you know that's the direction I was going.... ;) He eases out and stays in the right lane. I figure this thing is just going to destroy me; but, I figure...eh... So I boost past him and let him hear the bov.

He bites. He pulls up next to me and gives me these short little romps. Very loud, very deep, VERY IMPRESSIVE!

I put it in third and put it to the floor. It was perfect because my nose was even with his rear bumper so by the time I was at his door I was spooling.

He nails it!

It pulls slightly and I see his shift light come on and his auto tranny chirps the tires.

Then I couldn't believe my eyes! What was this?!?!?! My sup starts pulling on him. By the time I got to the top of third his front bumper was at my back bumper.

I slowed down and he pulls up next to me and gives me a huge smile and a thumbs up. I did likewise and we went on our way...

This is especially cool because I just got finished upgrading some things on the car. IC, IC Pipe, MAFT Pro, 550's, etc...

Ahhh......what a way to end a week... :D

Its great to notice an improvement in the car after upgrading. Great kill. The master tech at my job has a 1970 Dodge Charger that he's restored from the ground up. Sweet car, cammed out and all. Keeped telling the man I wanted to see what the Charger had but kept saying it was just a cruiser (probably making well over 400rwhp). Gotta love how Import muscle usualy wins over domestic. :evil2:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yep, seeing your money at work is always nice.

This car was sweet. I'd only seen it two other times so it's not on the road often.

It was decked. Gauges everwhere, shift light, some sort of slap shifter, cams, the works...

I'm sure it would've likely been a different outcome had we gone from a dig. You know what we supra owners like to say...

"Wanna Race From a Roll?" :biglaugh:

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
CajunKenny;1411072 said:
Yep, seeing your money at work is always nice.

This car was sweet. I'd only seen it two other times so it's not on the road often.

It was decked. Gauges everwhere, shift light, some sort of slap shifter, cams, the works...

I'm sure it would've likely been a different outcome had we gone from a dig. You know what we supra owners like to say...

"Wanna Race From a Roll?" :biglaugh:

yeah, he woulda launched on you from a dig... maybe taken a car or two on you. you throw second, you might have been either next to him or at his 1/4 panel, and third he's be in your rear view... :naughty::evil2:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
IwantMKIII;1411660 said:
Nice kill of course!

On a side note, you notice any changes with the maft setup?

I ran the maft pro in AFC Mode for a while. The only thing that changed was additional power from leaning it out. Which is fine because that's all I wanted to do at the time.

Now in Speed Density Mode and the car sort of woke up! There was an increase in throttle response. Nothing huge; but, noticable. It idles better and acceleration is a lot smoother. Overall, it runs better. Toyota should've had all MK3's in Speed Density from the factory instead of just the Turbo A's!

There's quite a bit of time, study, and patience that is involved once in Speed Density Mode; but, definitely worth it. Not only does runability get better, you have a LOT more control over the car. Which in my opinion, is why this mod/conversion is not for everyone.

Another benefit to Speed Density Mode is that it's a little more forgiving in regards to vac/boost leaks. While vac/boost leaks are things to avoid and repair, if you blow off an IC pipe for example, you can still drive home. On a stock system or in AFC mode, if you blow a pipe, you're going to either have to limp it home or fix it where you are. Not fun. I know! ;)

I'm not done tuning, nor am I an expert; but, I'm learning. And it's worth it! :)

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
CajunKenny;1411725 said:
I ran the maft pro in AFC Mode for a while. The only thing that changed was additional power from leaning it out. Which is fine because that's all I wanted to do at the time.

Now in Speed Density Mode and the car sort of woke up! There was an increase in throttle response. Nothing huge; but, noticable. It idles better and acceleration is a lot smoother. Overall, it runs better. Toyota should've had all MK3's in Speed Density from the factory instead of just the Turbo A's!

There's quite a bit of time, study, and patience that is involved once in Speed Density Mode; but, definitely worth it. Not only does runability get better, you have a LOT more control over the car. Which in my opinion, is why this mod/conversion is not for everyone.

Another benefit to Speed Density Mode is that it's a little more forgiving in regards to vac/boost leaks. While vac/boost leaks are things to avoid and repair, if you blow off an IC pipe for example, you can still drive home. On a stock system or in AFC mode, if you blow a pipe, you're going to either have to limp it home or fix it where you are. Not fun. I know! ;)

I'm not done tuning, nor am I an expert; but, I'm learning. And it's worth it! :)

Thanks for the info. What was our final cost when said and done approximately?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I got mine for a steal! It was approximately a year old; but, had never been installed. I picked up the whole Maft System, except for the boost control harness, for $300 to my door.

One person on this forum is running the Maft in Speed Density mode on a stock fuel system and 8psi of boost. He has the same sentiments regarding better runability.

His car is QUICK for only 8psi!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, I wasn't exactly expecting the thumbs up either.

I guess it's time for a dyno run. Once I get a few AFR bumps out of my tune, I'll go see what she's putting down.