Mounting Subs in supra's trunk

TomFraser

pbasil1;1069583 said:
You left out the amps inefficiency... So add about 40% to the power draw you calculated because most class D amps are 60-75% efficient. They draw a bit more power than they put out. I would use an 80 amp fuse in line with the battery.

so it is safe to draw this, and I don't have to worry about breaking an alternator or anything like that? (1988 N/A 5 speed)

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
pbasil1;1069228 said:
Ya . Just the right size by the looks of it?

So thats a 15" L7... If i were to guess ^ cu/ft... And hopefully tuned around 25-33hz? Unless your tying for spl... Then a good 40-55hz should blow the supra to bits! Am i close?

That's what I was thinking, by the area of that port, it's in the 40s, unless the port's wrapped around, taking up like half the box.

BTW, my tests have found the Supra has a resonant frequency of 44-45hz, if anyone is curious.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
ValgeKotkas;1069811 said:
Tell me, what does that mean, for future knowledge :icon_bigg

The natural resonant frequency inside the supra, according to rob is ~45hz. So around 45 should be the loudest frequency you can achieve in the car. So if you tune a box to about 45hz and play a 45hz note, it will be louder than any other... In a nut shell, a little more complex than that but thats how i broke it down.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
ValgeKotkas;1069897 said:
That is then, for SPL comp.?
More so yes. But for someone who really cares about SQ, and has the equipment and knowledge how, will then know to turn down the eq around that frequency because it will be a little over powering from all other bass... Its complicated and for most people unnecisary.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
yeah, the resonant frequency is the frequency at which the car tends to vibrate. You're going to have a huge peak in response around this number.

If you tune a port to this frequency, you get TONS of output at that frequency. However, don't expect it to sound good, or be loud anywhere else. Also, don't expect the ported box to have much output below the ported frequency. The driver essentially decouples from the port, and just starts pushing air. If you have a box tuned for 45hz, you're going to have a ton of bass at 45hz, then nothing below that. A good tuning frequencyfor something normal is somewhere around where the driver naturally starts rolling off.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Hmm...then I think I must visit a place where someone has the equipment to test this stuff...and see what I'm actually running then.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
ValgeKotkas;1071319 said:
Hmm...then I think I must visit a place where someone has the equipment to test this stuff...and see what I'm actually running then.

Test what stuff? What do you want to know? SPL or what your box is tuned to?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
What I'm tuned to of course :D Who cares about the SPL...I don't want to blow off my trunk window trying to measure SPL ;) (it is done in a closed car? Or no?)

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
ValgeKotkas;1071346 said:
What I'm tuned to of course :D Who cares about the SPL...I don't want to blow off my trunk window trying to measure SPL ;) (it is done in a closed car? Or no?)
Open window or closed, your choice, though its always louder with the windows down...

And to find what the box is tuned at, just measure the box dimensions, and the port dimensions and tell me what they all are. And also tell me what subs are in the box... Ill plug all the info in and let you know what its tuned at.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ValgeKotkas;1071346 said:
I don't want to blow off my trunk window trying to measure SPL ;)

Trust me, you won't.

If you want to do a quick test, run some tones, and see if it gets noticably louder at a certain point. If it doesn't, it's likely flat enough to enjoy.

However, with the area of that port, I have a feeling it's tuned quite high.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
pbasil1;1071606 said:
Open window or closed, your choice, though its always louder with the windows down...

And to find what the box is tuned at, just measure the box dimensions, and the port dimensions and tell me what they all are. And also tell me what subs are in the box... Ill plug all the info in and let you know what its tuned at.

Measuring this box is a really hard part:icon_razz