Megasquirt preparations.

HeadTrip

Apr 7, 2010
Virginia Beach
www.saturnwiki.net
Greetings,
I'm getting started with a MegaSquirt-II setup on a 1989 7m-gte MKIII. I see there are a number of options for input, and am planning to go with a modified stock CAS, by using the 24 tooth wheel and grinding off one tooth to make a 24-1 VR at cam speed, as the extra work to use the dual wheel nippon-denso input seems like overkill. My question is about ignition output. Has anyone successfully used the stock multiplexed igniter with the MS-II and the MS2-extra-2.1.0 code? I see an option for Toyota output, but can't find any corresponding documentation. Is it doable, or is it just easier to drive a Bosch (Volvo s90) igniter, or two extra VB921s?

Thanks for any input on this.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
I haven't seen anyone use the stock ignitor myself and wouldn't use it. I would have the MS-2 direct fire the 3 coils in your case. Also I have heard of people using the mitsu ignitor off the 3.0L v6. I think the 1998 to 2004 monteros use them.

HeadTrip

Apr 7, 2010
Virginia Beach
www.saturnwiki.net
Looks like the code for the multiplexed igniter never made it into MS2E though it is in MSnS Extra. It may be added soon tho. My conversation with the developer is documented in the "DLI Multiplexed Igniter" link on my wiki build page (http://www.saturnwiki.net/index.php/Megasquirt_II_7MGTE)..

So I ordered a couple BIPxxx coil drivers, installed them, and bench tested. Looks like it's going to be the route I take until the multiplexed igniter gets support again.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
keeping a close eye on this.... have a v2.2 board ms1 on the shelf right now, gonna upgrade it and use it on my supra as soon as i can

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
I wouldn't run a 20 year old multiplexed ignitor anyways. Better off keeping the 24-1 wheel setup and direct fire some IS300 coil packs. I eventually am going to get rid of my EDIS-6 setup and just use the 36-1 wheel and direct fire my IS300 coils.
Also going to upgrade to MS3 + MSX once it goes mainstream to get more outputs to do water injection launch control etc.

Also the boost control works great and only cost $40 for the parts to do it.

HeadTrip

Apr 7, 2010
Virginia Beach
www.saturnwiki.net
Yeah, I'm probably better with the direct fire now that you put it that way. The 24-1 CAS mod seems to be sufficient, and the price is just about right (Especially for a cheap-ass Saturn tuner). For boost control I have a Greddy Profec B-Spec2. Water/meth injection was already in the plan, though I may just use an AVR micro for that.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
HeadTrip;1560617 said:
Yeah, I'm probably better with the direct fire now that you put it that way. The 24-1 CAS mod seems to be sufficient, and the price is just about right (Especially for a cheap-ass Saturn tuner). For boost control I have a Greddy Profec B-Spec2. Water/meth injection was already in the plan, though I may just use an AVR micro for that.

Get rid of the profec and make some money and use the megasquirt for boost control. It works well.

Also use JS10, D14, and D15 for spark output. Then use D16 for water injection and JS11 for boost control.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Yeah just did some more reading and it looks like MS2 extra software didn't get the water injection code put in yet.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

HeadTrip;1560786 said:
JS10,D14,D15 are already setup for ignition, I think I have JS11 setup for tach out, but none the less I can revisit that when I'm ready to get all that going.

You can use D16 as tach output accroding to the extra pin usage chart. You can axe water injection control since the code is not implemented yet.