Looking for a shop around San Diego Area to diagnose an issue with MK3 Supra

LeTenken

Mar 19, 2012
San Diego
Long time lurker, finally registered because I need help :(

I have an 87 Toyota Supra that ran and died on the freeway about a week ago. My car is currently at a Shop in Miramar and they are not able to figure out the issue after a week. The car had recently underwent a motor swap (7M-GE -> 7M-GTE) at another shop in the Inland Empire area where I am originally from. The new engine had about <200 miles put on it since the rebuild . I'm fairly new to the San Diego Area, so I dont know any shops nearby. (moved here for work) I have not been able to find a place to take my Supra to yet and I would like to explore local options before considering towing my vehicle 100+ miles up north due to costs. If anyone can point me to the right direction, it'd be wonderful.

Some Background information:
I've owned my 87 NA MK3 Supra for almost 4 years now. The swap to GTE was done from personal preference (figured it'd be fun), I brought my 7M-GE to about 220K miles before tearing it out.

For the last 4 months my car underwent a swap at a shop in Upland (About 100 miles from San Diego), I had purchased a junked JDM (no EGR) 7M-GTE about 2 years ago off craigslist and had rebuilt at a reputable machine shop in my area sparing no expense or time, my engine has had all new internals and a completely new stock turbo (bought separately). A Metal Headgasket was put on with ARP hardware, both the head and block were prepared correctly. Due to lack of original parts when I got the engine, the car has been modified during the swap with a Driftmotion Intake, Driftmotion intercooler +whatever piping it came with, and Driftmotion 3" downpipe which were installed correctly. The junked harness the engine came with was amazingly in one piece and only a few wires and connectors had to be repaired. The 88 GTE ECU was also JDM (so no EGR), however because it was for an A/T, I had to bypass the neutral safety switch to make it work with my w58

The car ran perfectly fine for about a week when I had my friend drive it for about a week in the Inland Empire (~50 miles of city driving, 20 miles of highway driving) before I was comfortable enough to drive it down to San Diego myself after the first oil change. I fear something may have went wrong with the oil change. The car was brought down the 5S freeway and drove about 90~100 miles (smoothly, did not gun it) before it mysteriously shut off in the middle of the freeway. I was not able to start the car back up after pulling over. I noticed an oil leak dripping from the passenger-side of the engine. The car was towed to a nearby parking lot that night. I suspect the oil loss was considerable.

I towed the car again to the only shop I knew in San Diego which I go to for Oil Changes for my other cars, but they do not seem to have any experience with working on cars with swapped engines (they dont know what to do with Cars that have non-matching ECUs). They did note that the car still turns over (cranks normally) and compression is still good on all cylinders. However they are unable to diagnose why I am only getting spark "some of the time", I do not believe they were able to get the car to start at all. They have not been able to retrieve any codes from the ECU that I know of.

I very much would like for someone in the area to take a look at it for me, any contact information would be appreciated. From searching I did stumble upon the shop jspfab.com in Vista but I have not had any response yet.

I primarily want to find out if I've already destroyed my new engine (which would suck given the amount of time and $$$ that went into this swap, but at least i'd have closure). I'd still be interested in getting the car to run again (hopefully at a lower cost than whats been put into the swap already)

Thank you for your time!
Still crossing my fingers for the best.

LeTenken

Mar 19, 2012
San Diego
damn... now im being charged $35/day for storage at the miramar shop now. Anyone have any advice on how to go about this?

Thanks! could really use some help here