Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The slide pin on one of my front brake calipers seized, after reviewing the TSRM it recommends Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease as the lubricant for the pins. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=BR&P=29

After looking around the internet to find a source it seems to be a rather rare lubricant, the best source is right from Toyota. I also found some people that questioned it's usage on external brake components due to its water solubility. Some think it was a typo, but I can't imagine Toyota slipping across so many diffrent Toyota Repair Manuals. It's usage is recommended across Toyotas range for the brake components. So my question is about if Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease is the appropriate lubricant for the slide pins or if there is a lubricant that would be a better recommendation.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Use sil glide. Best stuff I've ever used and the most expensive but well worth it. It's equalivent to most oem if not the same.

I've tried prolly 15-20 different slide grease just from work and that one takes the cake. Ive had the smallest one for almost a year. Don't do brakes as much now but it's prolly only half empty if that. Doesn't take much but on the mk3 I'd use a lot as they get a problem with heat and cheap grease.