Laws in CA

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
right now I'm in the beginning stages of upgrading my car... exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, BOV... and Im running into so many issues because we are in CA and there are so many laws that I have to break to make the car perform better. To start Im having trouble with the exhaust. Since there is a pre-cat on the downpipe I cant replace it. what have you guys done? Also, is it legal to replace the intercooler and switch to a hardpipe kit with a BOV? As of now Im thinking about just pulling the stock exhaust off completely and replacing it with a nice 3" and then come smog day put in the stocker. Are there any other things I should worry about... cams, injectors,etc.?? Thanks

88_7mge

N/A Lover
Dec 1, 2008
Hemet, CA
I'll tell you right now, that any vent to atmosphere blow off valve is illegal in CA. Any modification to the intake system after the AFM needs a CARB number to be legal. You are S.O.L. on the downpipe, since its currently illegal to replace or remove a good catalytic converter. If you replace the entire exhaust like you mentioned keep in mind its a few thousand dollar fine if you get caught without the catalytic converters on you car driving around.

There are a lot of ways to make your car perform better without breaking the law, its just a hell of a lot more expensive, but nice to know that you wont be looking at paying some steep fines if you get pulled over.

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
How do you make it a "bad" catalytic converter then so I can replace it ?? haha I mean is there a way to determine that its bad and maybe be able to at least replace it with a high flow main cat. Do they make downpipes that are CARB legal with the pre-cat??

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
Pretty much any modification you do to your car will be illegal in nazifornia. Carb stickers(executive orders) will be a must if you're doing modding. Exhausts need to stay under 95db. Rabble rabble, the list goes on and on...

I keep my car stock. :icon_bigg

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
Basically, if you want to run a modified car without worry of huge fines or having it impounded, California is not the state for you. Many people mod their cars anyway, and most of them don't get caught, so it's up to you to determine whether or not the risk is worth it. I can't wait to get out of this state again - it won't get any easier on us. Good luck!

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
if there are a bunch of shiny parts under your hood there going to question. everyone knows what a honda looks like stock, not many know what a truly stock turbo looks like. never heard of someone having to pop their hood on mk3's though.

i was thinking of using plasti-dip or whatever on a hardline IC piping kit to make it look stock. paint or powdercoat the intercooler black. if my car had a turbo emblem i would remove it. gut the pre-cat and go with a painted dual tip catback.

and as far as smog, go to a "Cool" smog shop that wont trip about modifications as long as it passes.