JZX105 gte swap question / opinion on which car is should buy

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So here is the thing. I live northern canada where we get a decent amount of snow in the winter and as of this winter i have gotten myself a new job where i commute to and from work every weekend (nearly 1000km) i have a 1jz mkiii and a 97 aristo 2jz, neither which are good for this type of winter driving. I plan on buying a new car this weekend and I have found a 96 cresta 1jz-ge awd with 57000km. does anyone one know if its a fairly strait swap for the 1jz-gte to go in and can the tranny handle it? I just think it would be way more fun to have a awd turbo then the under powered na. I would leave the gte completely stock. My other option is, I found a 99 subaru legacy tt for sale with 91000km on it at exactly double the price. I know the legacy is "more practical" but i really dont care. I would rather have the 1jz gte cresta.

So me question(s) is:

1. can i pull out the na and put in the turbo engine with out any major modifications/what would it require to do the swap
2. will it still be reliable/can the transmission handle the extra power?

if i get the cresta i have $4000 in my budget to do the swap. (buy engine and pay someone to do the work)

Thanks

Travis

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The gte will bolt right in for sure.

Think its plug and play with a chaser as well.

If it has an auto trans It should be ok, but it might be at its limits. Tho you could get it built for more power down the road.