is a 15x8 sealed box good for a single alpine type E

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
:1zhelp::icon_bigg:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelpwhat your thoughts?is a 400 watt amp enough to temporairly run the sub???

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
15x8x?? So far sounds kinda small... What size sub, what music do you listen to and what is your overall expectation of the sub?

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
i have a 10'' that i gave 1 cubic foot sealed and im running 240W rms and up to 560W peak through it and it hits hard. 400 might be a little much for the sub since the rms is 250 if im correct.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i went ahead and made the box 15x15 and 15x8 wide . it is sealed and i listen to 60%rock and 40% everything else techno-rap.will the box be ok??i have a 400 watt amp .not 400rms.isint on a normal amp every watt divided by three to make 1 rms.so 400 rms is about 133 rms..correct me if im wrong...plz can someone give me blueprints to a ported box for a 12 in alpine type e.i looked on the web but its impossible to find

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
:dunno:
beachsupra;1135233 said:
i went ahead and made the box 15x15 and 15x8 wide . it is sealed and i listen to 60%rock and 40% everything else techno-rap.will the box be ok??i have a 400 watt amp .not 400rms.isint on a normal amp every watt divided by three to make 1 rms.so 400 rms is about 133 rms..correct me if im wrong...plz can someone give me blueprints to a ported box for a 12 in alpine type e.i looked on the web but its impossible to find

It is possible to find. there are million of ported box calculators online. Plus this has been discussed in your previous "Kicker" thread. There are NO set blueprints for these subs. Thats why you have been advised to use sealed enclosure. Ported boxes are designed to provide specific response and are tuned to a specific frequency via port diameter and length in conjunction with box volume. If you still can't figure it out, call Alpine and see if they can recommend something to you, they also have it in downloadable instructions on the their website. ITS ALL THERE.

P.S. if you still are struggling with Internet search, try this- http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWE-1242.PDF
This file has all you need buddy. And yet if you find this file useless, this SWE-1242 is not recommended for use in ported box because of its FS and QES.

Last edited:

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
beachsupra;1135233 said:

Good lord. First off. You don't have a 400w amp. Quit saying you do. If its not RMS value, its merely a gimick and you're a fool for falling for it. Max -> RMS Conversions can be anywhere from 1/3-2/3 the power. It all depends how good the amp is.

Fuck, I mean just fuck.

I put in "alpine type e" into google. First link was to Crutchfield which gave box volume suggestions. Suggested box size is 0.8-1.7ft^3. Your box, 15x15x8, is 1.042ft^3.

And then can you guess what I did? I put "how to build ported box" into google. Here are some of the first page links for you since evidently you couldn't find them:
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/faq.htm
http://www.audioboxesonline.com/Ported-Subwoofer-Box-Plans_ep_21-1.html

Impossible to find? Horseshit.

Edit: As Pernilongo pointed out, the sub isn't even designed to be in a ported environment. Ugh, just go buy some Boss or Legacy units and put them in a bandpass box and show it off to your friends. That seems to be what you're looking for.