good setup for drag radials?

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
I plan on running the mickey thompson radials for a spare set of 16x8s i have laying around. Does anyone have any experience with these tires and a good shock/spring combo or any aftermarket part setup for both front and rear? like after market or adjustable control arms or anything? Any combo that yields good weight transfer and minimal wheel hop?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
It would depend on how much power your making and how your car is setup and then good spring rates could be determined and they could be paired with a good damper that would keep the rears planted.

As for everything else, good bushings in the rear arms would keep the wheel where you want it and let you set the alignment properly. Subframe bushings would also help keep things from moving and contributing to wheel hop.

Weight transfer is a function of CG height and wheelbase, so you really can't change that amount, you can just change how it is controlled. A good shock valved for the application can really help with this. I'm not sure what's readily available that would be valved for the spring rates you would want to run and for the power that you're making, but something could be put together.

Tim

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
good info. I was thinking just in general, but for my application, plan on making around 350 whp, once i save up enough for a 1j! and yes i meant weight transfer as in...the control of such. Are the aftermarket control arms any good? for my monte carlo (factory 4 link) i just pulled the stock stamped links out, welded steel plate to the bottom to box them in, and i replaced the bushings with new ones and it never had a wheel hop problem again. It was just a worked 305 and metric trans though, not all that much power to the wheels

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Stock, soft springs/ struts work well from what i have seen. I got my best 60' tmes with stock suspension. Currently my jdm TurboR Bilstiens/ TTR springs are a bit on the stiff side, so i get some hop even with custom arms and poly bushings (275 street tires, 1jz, 400+ hp). I too will try ET street radials this summer with stock struts.....we will see how it works.