Good reasonable mechanic or Supra Guy

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
I have a 1991 Supra Turbo that i'm pretty sure the rod bearings are bad. Started making some knocking at around 3000 rpms. Creeped it home and has been sitting. I'm looking for someone in the Decatur/Huntsville area (alabama) that maybe works on these at there house or maybe a toyota mechanic that works on the side that could possible fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The easiest thing for you to do is buy a used 7mgte from ebay or maybe even someone doing a 1jz swap. If you're able and willing to pull the motor, it's not too hard to get the block rebuilt. If you were about an hour and a half closer to me, I would help you. The guy that works for me is one hell of a mechanic, but huntsville is about two hours away from us.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I would also do either the swap, or buy a new engine. The money you would spend on a rebuild would be pretty pricey (about the price or maybe even more than a drop in engine), and if it would fail, you would have to start all over again. If you just want a daily, I would buy a drop in 7m engine, and replace the headgasket and torque to around 75 ft lbs and be done with it. (I dont remember if that is what the spec people are going with is or not so you better look it up before going off of my word.)

I have a friend that is selling a 1jz and trans if you would be interested.

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
I just had the head reworked and ARP torqued to 75 about a year ago. I hate to just buy another motor on ebay that might do the same thing. Suprahero how far south are you? I'm really not able to do the work myself but would like someone that knows about the Supras to fix it. The guy you use does he work from his house? Not even sure how much a rebuild and labor would be. My car is too nice to do like most and sit in yard till it turns to junk.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I live in Sumiton Al. 35148, if you want to map quest it. Give me a call sometime next week and I'll talk to you about it.

205-243-0622, Jay