Fuel related issues (I have already researched)

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
Hey guys,

I have an 04 mazda6 with the 2.3L 4cyl engine. (roof mount antenna)

I need to replace the fuel pump, and they cost $450+ for my car. Because of the ridiculous price, I'm thinking about putting a walbro (190lph) in it,
but I'm not sure if this will make my car run too rich. I know I can install an FPR, but that would be counter-productive as I'm looking for a cheaper
alternative.

I have heard that the stock FPR will be fine with a walbro, and I have also heard that it cannot handle the increased load, but this info was found on forums where there are many self-proclaimed "experts".

I have done tons of research, called the dealer, and asked for flow specs from aftermarket replacement with no luck. Keep in mind, this is a dd, not a toy or race car, and I'm looking to retain the excellent mpgs.

I would rather put a new pump instead of a used one, especially since they are known weak points in these cars.

Anywhooo..what should I do? :1zhelp:

Cliff notes: Need fuel pump, price is outrageous, need advice on fp selection.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Isn't the Mazda a "returnless" system? e.g. no return fuel line and no regulator?

If so, no, you can't use a walbro.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
I'm not sure, that never came up in the forums I searched. There isn't much of a DIY group on these cars unfortunately, so it's hard to find info on it. I haven't taken it apart either, so I don't know. If that were the case, would I just need to look at the fuel rail to see if only one line is there?

Thanks

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
i believe i found the pump assembly

W01331756582OES.JPG

by the looks of it the pump is sealed (or snaped in) the housing and not replaceable without breaking something. have had similar experiance with newer vehicals aswell. only 1 hose port, so sadly i think your screwed and a new or used oem is only way to go.