Flywheel question

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
So I have a feeling I already know the answe to this question but here is a few pics of how my flywheel came out of the car... Two of the bolts snapped off at the heads and three sheared off in multiple pieces inside the crank flange.

Bolts are now all out and the flange is in good shape (ie no thread damage), though there seems to be some raised areas that correlate to the indents on the flywheel. I believe this is why the bolts gave up and were backing out.

My question is: would you reuse this flywheel if the crank flange was hand worked to be flush again?

image.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It has some very strange damage. But I wouldn't use it. A free-300$ flywheel is not worth having to rebuild an engine or replace a blue housing and possibly body work.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Nope, I'd throw it in the trash. As Kyle said, not worth me popping an engine. Go with a new stock flywheel, or a chromoly one from Spec. (I personally don't like AL flywheels)

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
The plot thickens... Stopped by Toyota and they want $550 for a new one AND they can't even order it. So that means that either aluminum flywheel for $350ish, find this "Spec" steel one that has eluded me so far, OR fix the one I have. I am a welder after all, I can make it whole again but not without adding minor amounts of weight, I would need to have it balanced.

What is it specifically that you guys don't like about the aluminum flywheels?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Used flywheels can be had used from our classifieds section for relatively cheap in most cases. You should have it machined and inspected for cracks before using it, though.

I don't like AL flywheels because they don't store much inertial energy, making them less street friendly. They do rev a bit more quickly, but imo it's not worth the QoL losses. The steel inserts they utilize also tend to weld themselves to the clutch if you go with a feramic clutch material.

Flywheel link:
http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Toyota/Supra/1992/Single

Flywheel P/N ST95S
$349.00

Be 100% Sure your crank is flat and parallel before reassembling- you don't want any runout or it'll be a bad time.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
toyotanos;2005788 said:
Be 100% Sure your crank is flat and parallel before reassembling- you don't want any runout or it'll be a bad time.

This is what I am thinking happened in the first place.

Thanks again for the input guys, 90% sure I'll be ordering the one you linked.