Flickering lights

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tlo86temp said:
capaciter
I would sooner upgrade the wiring. I see a capacitor as more of a band-aid approach. That's not to say they aren't useful, but if you have dimming issues, I would first upgrade your wiring.

What sort of amp are you running? What gauge of wire are you using for it?

I used to run 1400wrms to my sub, with 0ga wiring, stock alt, no cap, and I had no dimming problems unless It was turned up so loud you had trouble breathing. I now run a 2 farad cap on it with another 160wrms amp, and nothing's changed.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
the lights on your deck may flicker no matter what you try. More important is whether your dash lights or headlights dim. With what you described in you system I would look at you battery or maybe alt. The reason I said it may not matter about the headunit light is because under some extreme circumstances like bass hits over 130 db detachable face radios sometimes have trouble with their contacts vibrating. I recently had a customer whose disply would cut on and off with heavy bass. he insisted it was a loose wire. It wasn't so we swapped in a unit with a ribbon cabled face. no more dimming.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Like everyone else has said, upgrade the wiring--the "big 3"

-Power wire from battery to alternator
-Ground from Battery to chassis
-Ground from battery to body

Next, upgrade the alternator. MR2 turbo's are either 120 or 160amp, as opposed to our 80amps.

If you still have trouble go to a better battery.

Only THEN if you still experience problems should you add a cap