Cold temps demonstrated on conventional oil

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
This youtube video....just turn down the volume, lest you be inundated with nonsense. No surprise to see the video host surprised that it didn't go how they thought. Unless Mobil sponsored the video. The biggest "retard" comment is "Wal Mart oil". Wal Mart does not refine oil. Their self branded products are refined by Shell, according to the interwebs. What this shows is how engine wear occurs at start up, and conventional is no match for synthetic at cold temps. Really, turn the volume down, then watch. This topic has been beat around this site for many years. Just not lately with "social media" ruining everything (not just forums).

[video=youtube;uQ_vxdO_9nc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc[/video]

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Neat, the internet is full of garbage.
The real question is who is the idiot running 5W-30 engine oil in a -40°F climate?
Go to BTIOG for real oil information.

The real problem is the inability for people to filter out the garbage information from the facts.
If you are hanging around social media don't expect anything intelligent from anyone.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
[video=youtube;alnOguGvyh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnOguGvyh8[/video]

I'll defend "Wal Mart" and their honor, which is Shell. This is the synthetic oil sold and branded for Wallyworld.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The real question is who is the idiot running 5W-30 engine oil in a -40°F climate?

The real question is why would one live where it is -40F.

Go to BTIOG for real oil information.

His essay is a good way in layman's terms to decode ambiguous information from manufacturers.

The real problem is the inability for people to filter out the garbage information from the facts.

Yes. The internet showed me how stupid people are. They do not take in information. It is shown in things like "Mandela Effect" videos. Or they just don't pay attention. Then they post in the forums.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Yeah I've added oil to my car in -40, oil which I pulled out of the trunk and it definitely isn't like "taffy" and I run the generic Shell product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
This test makes zero sense bc the "Wal-Mart brand" container mouth is much smaller than the widemouth sythetics. So yea it is going to pour much slower at that temp.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I live where it occasionally gets that cold. Historically ran Rotella T6 in my 1j, which is a 5W40 oil. Never had any issue with starting or oil pressures when it was that cold that literally affect all cars when it gets that cold.

Oil analysis regularly returned healthy results too. :)