coil question

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I'm a novice when it comes to standalone management. Within the next 12 months I plan on switching from piggyback to standalone (most likely the AEM v.1 unit). I have started to read this forum to learn more, but I have a situation that I'd like to fix now and am looking for some advice.

All three of my stock coil packs are out of spec @ .6 Ohms cold (TSRM is .3 - .5 cold). I guess it doesn't surprise me being 21 years old.

Which brings me to my question. If I buy new coils what would be the best configuration that would allow me to run stock ECU now and not have to purchase different coils or an igniter when I switch to the AEM v.1 standalone in the future?

- new stock coils + keep stock igniter

- new stock coils + HKS Twin Power

- switch to different coils (LXi, etc??)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
the AEM V1 expec the stock components.

If the coils are within the range specified (the Chevy twin tower coils WORK with the stock ignitor which are used by Electromoive, and SDS) then you can exchange them for the OEM 7m coils.

Of course for reliability, stick with OEM.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Figgie, thanks for the info. Gennro, I can't tell from the pics - do they work with the stock #3 gasket in the middle or do you have to remove it?

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Thanks for the input guys. Northwestsupra, very nice setup and writeup! I decided to just buy new OEM coils for the 7MGTE for now. Looks like I'll be going standalone sooner than I thought. I caved and bought a BOSS Sr. turbo w/ the GTS cover so I'm now in the market for an AEM.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
i skipped on getting AEM due to "rumors" of bad injector drivers and faulty main connectors causing loss of engine or file. but just rumor, dont know if its true, i didnt bother to look it up really lol, I personally went with vipec v-44 due to lack of money.