Clutch replacing question

Streettyrant

Feb 1, 2014
El Paso
Is it true that the the easiest way to replace the clutch in a mk3 with a 1jz swap is to pull the engine and tranny? I'm ask because I have replaced a clutch before in a different vehicsl and was just able to drop the tranny. Input would be awesome. Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. It's easier to just remove the transmission. You will need a 14mm a swivel socket and to lower the trans down to get the too trans bolts the easiest.

An with any r154 remove pressure plate from flywheel and then remove transmission. Install in reverse order.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i have a question.... i keep seeing people mention to remove the pp from the flywheel before taking the trans out, and when installing the trans- bolt it up last.
when i put my new motor in last year, i pulled the trans with the pp still bolted to the flywheel, and installed it the same way. just like every other clutch job i've ever done.
i'm confused. why did it work out for me that way if everyone is saying to do it the otherway?

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
I see. I had no problems doing it my way. is there any particular reason for doing it that way? I've never heard of that before.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its in the tsrm. thats how its done from the factory. and most of the time its a lot harder to get in and out with it on.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
ok. it honestly came out like any clutch i've ever done. it seems like it would be a pain to tighten the pp after the trans is in.
thanks for the info.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's easy. Turn the crabk and tighten the bolts through the wholes.

Maybe you have a w58 transmission?

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
nope, it's definitely an r154. i just wonder why they want you to do it that way. i had no problems pulling the trans out then the motor. when i put it back together i installed the pp, then put the trans on. i put the motor and trans back in the car as one.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
that's so weird. the clutch and pp were brand new when i got it apart. i haven't had and issues with it yet. maybe i did get lucky.