Changing the Oil Filter but not the Oil - How Much Oil Can I Expect to Lose?

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Well, the title explains it well enough, I believe. I'm running Castrol German 0W-30 in my 7M-GE, and I'm coming to the point where I'd like to change the filter (3000 miles). I've never changed just the filter. How much oil can I expect to lose between what's in the filter and what drains out? I'm guessing I should change it when the engine is cold, so that the oil is in a thicker state, and hasn't circulated through the engine yet. But, this is only speculation.

Eman14j

O help me, Oprah Winfrey!
Nov 7, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
yeah extremely easy just catch everything in a empty drip pan (don't forget to pour whats in the old oil filter) then just pour all that came out into a old empty oil container or measuring cup. Then just do the math and add the amount lost ;)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I run an 8,000 mile change interval on the hartop with a filter every 4,000 miles.

It's less than 1/2 a quart -- I just add 1/2 quart when I change the filter. 190K miles - runs like new.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Eman14j;1819398 said:
yeah extremely easy just catch everything in a empty drip pan (don't forget to pour whats in the old oil filter) then just pour all that came out into a old empty oil container or measuring cup. Then just do the math and add the amount lost ;)

LOL - way too complicated ;)
Just add till the dip stick says full again.