Aftermarket Auto Trans cooler?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I'm looking to add a aftermarket trans cooler to my car to help keep the temps down & hopefully keep the trans alive longer. Is there such a thing as overcooling the trans fluid? I'm looking at this cooler (http://store.summitracing.com/partd...888847+4294891681+4294792804+115&autoview=sku) as I have an 11" fan left over from my celicas Top mount IC and plan to stuff it behind the left foglight. (I'm pretty sure itll fit. I'll have to look and verify before I order).

Do you have any recommendations for another cooler that might be better?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I don't think you can over cool the trans fluid. Well, you could in a refrigerator, but not with heat exchangers on the front of a car.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i have a couple of the aristo transmissions laying around but it looks just like the pan on the 1jz sitting in my garage

i think the biggest prob when running the trans cooler in front without a thermostat of some sort for me was it would shift hard when cold and take longer to warm up. if i waited a bit when the car started it would be fine.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You should be able to fit that B&M cooler just fine...it's a bit longer than the one I have mounted (with a fan) in the same location, but I don't think that will be a problem. It won't over cooler either...the B&M has a fan thermo switch that comes on at 160 degs.

It's difficult to over cool using these type coolers...I experience the same harder shift with a cold tranny as tlo86. The A340 seems to like the fluid in the 170-180 deg range on mine. Just use a good quality ATF.