7MGE cylinder head 7MGTE head

xmaxjetplane

Jan 27, 2014
omaha
Awesome, the only cap I was worried about was the number one. It looks like where the seal sits is slightly different.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Prism11

jenny89;1988415 said:
Not the main caps anyway. I dont know if u can have the head line bored but I wouldnt think so since the bearings for the cams are built in

You can line bore the cam saddles, however it may not be a good idea if the head is warped. Torquing the head bolts will flatten the head to the block if it is slightly warped, but if the cam saddles are line honed it will cause the cam bores to bow and pinch the cam when it is torqued down.

I would have the head straightened first and then have it line honed if you are going to go this route, but I would advise just getting a new cylinder head with the matching caps.

jenny89

Mar 22, 2012
andersonville tn
Prism11;1988453 said:
You can line bore the cam saddles, however it may not be a good idea if the head is warped. Torquing the head bolts will flatten the head to the block if it is slightly warped, but if the cam saddles are line honed it will cause the cam bores to bow and pinch the cam when it is torqued down.

I would have the head straightened first and then have it line honed if you are going to go this route, but I would advise just getting a new cylinder head with the matching caps.

xmaxjetplane

Jan 27, 2014
omaha
Awesome, I would totally just buy a new head if the price was right. The head I currently have was rebuilt less than 10k ago. Why when I bought it the guy didn't have the caps is beyond me. I have had it inspected and everything is good. Just trying to get my baby back up and running.

xmaxjetplane

Jan 27, 2014
omaha
It's my understanding that they grind the cap ends to make the journals out of round then re-hone.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ummm, careful with line honing the head as there is a something like babbit on the cam holders (captures and crap) so that will need to be replaced after line honing. Also make sure the head is not annealed.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Before line honing the cams I would understand the dangers of leaving it as is. As figgie said there's babbit material there already and you'll have to deal with reapplying that somehow.

I've never heard of a 7M having catastrophic problems due to a lack of a line hone in the cam journals. If anything, I'd maybe assemble the head, sans cam, feel for any mismatch at the cap seam and very, very carefully sand the cap smooth. Worse case there, you screw up a cap and have to source another one. You're already mismatched so no biggie there.