6.5 inch speaker pods in an 88

xrated89

Sep 12, 2005
Canada
they aare more of a bracket but yes they should go in no problem but the speakers I bought required me to trim the brackets : )

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
no you wont be able to swap them. youll need to either make your own custom bracket, or try to find the 6.5 speaker pods that came with 91-92 supras.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
even if you make your own bracket many of the 6.5" speakers on the market will be too deep to fit, especially if you make your bracket too thick. Make sure you take good measurements. most 6" speakers are shallow enough to fit. I ended up putting some really deep heavy duty 5-1/4" in mine. they were almost as deep as most 6.5" speakers.

Check this thread for a writeup, it will give you an idea of how to make it:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11473

That's pretty much the same method the car audio shop used to make mine. Good luck.

Obsessionw/Boost

Sep 28, 2006
Albany, NY
i made the cutout for my driver side door today, used mdf, a sharpie, a jigsaw, my drill, and some patience...
came out real nice... doing the passenger side tomorrow

thanks for the walkthrough dylan, very helpful

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
First lay down the round speaker bracket that came with your speakers, or make one to mount your speaker to. Lay the speaker bracket where I did, then tape or foil the whole area. (you don't have to do as much as I did, but the speaker mount is very stout.) Lay your fibreglass mat and resin down, let dry and trim(Remove tape or foil) and paint for final finish.
speaker1.jpg

speaker2.jpg

The units dont even need anything to hold them to the door because of the tight fit. The cost- $25 plus speakers.

Chris D.
Boise

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I actaully started to the same thing (originally) but the magnet for my mid was too big - my margin of error for mounting was really slim if i didn't want to cut sheetmetal (which i didn't)- hence the reason for the plate assembly.

While each reccomendation will work, it is highly dependent on the basket/magnet assembly. YMMV