2JZ swap destroying pressure plates, any ideas?

SpoolinSupra

Jul 5, 2006
Wyoming Valley, PA
www.myspace.com
2JZ swapped, Driftmotion lightweight 1JZ flywheel, R154 is the setup. Originally had a spec 3 in it. Last week during a 1st gear mild pull, the car developed a vicious engine rpm related vibration. after some diag, found it to be the pressure plate. The 3 anchor pins that hold the inner moving friction surface to the outer shell of the PP were bent, 1 was completely missing, causing the friction disk to go out of balance, and eventually snapped one of the drive straps between the 2 pieces of the PP. Chalked it up to flaw/defective plate---The car has been sitting for approx 6 years while doing 2JZ swap, and just got it finished a few weeks ago, clutch had maybe 200 miles on it from previous install with old 7M--- needless to say, i had a spare oem PP that i swapped in for now. Today, not 2 weeks later, it happened again to this pressure plate while free revving with no load and clutch pedal depressed. I did have solid alum engine mounts and solid crank pulley during both failures. sorry for the long read, but i wanted to make usre all the details were listed, thanks for all replies guys

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
gats;1973910 said:
There's your problem...

I dont know if that would cause the pressure plate to do what its doing. Although not a bad thing to look into. A proper harmonic balancer crank pulley will remove engine damaging harmonics.