1jz v12

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Awesome, never seen that one before. There was a older article on someone who welded 2 2jz motors together but the set up was wierd as the one half had the timing belt in the front and the other half had the timing belt in the back of the motor.

I wonder how the oil system is in the cylinder heads at those angles?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I saw this on reddit a little while ago and never got around to posting it. It's incredible. The exhaust manifolds are amazing. I'd hang them on my living room wall if my wife let me.

What an awesome and inspiring project. The bodywork, frame, crankcase, crank, everything is one-off.

From reddits postings from his neighbor/nephew or something it sounded like he was just a guy in retirement (being an engineer for manufacturing equipment) tinkering in his garage. From this article, it makes it sound like he works for the Nth Moto shop. Nth Moto does some awesome custom work for super cars, according to their beautifully simplistic website.

The reddit account of this project is far, far more amazing than this msn and Road and Track article let on. I hope the reddit version is more accurate because this is exactly how I want to "Retire" in 30 years.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah I saw that.

Sounds like he was successful by sheer luck that these cylinder heads are symmetrical.

If you look close through the photos in the Road and Track article, you will notice a 1st mock up of the engine where the intake of both banks are in the center V.
In the final iteration of the engine, the exhaust manifolds end up in the center V and the intake manifolds are on the outside.

It looks like this guy was just throwing stuff together to see what would stick.
Lucky for him the block / heads are able to be reversed without much work / Toyota got the symmetry right.
Scat did some nice work for him on the crankshaft / block / bearings.
The 3/4" fabricated steel crankcase is impressive in itself.
I also wonder how well the oil is able to drain back in the heads with those heavy angles.
His dry sump system should help with that a little.

Cool build though, too bad he says he only plans to just drive it around the block.
Should have specced it from the beginning of the build to be able to race or something.
Ah well, retirement and free time makes people do crazy things.
As long as it makes you happy its all good.
Its a very sweet looking piece of equipment though.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I remember seeing this years and years ago... glad to see it's made progress!

When you say the heads are symmetrical, do you mean that the cams could be driven through either side of the head if you removed those plugs back there? If so, kinda makes you wonder if they intended for this sort of thing to be a possibility... If nothing else, it is the smart business decision, in that you'd only have to have one casting mold design.

In potentially related news, 1jz exhaust manifolds can be flipped upside down, provided you have the space for the runners. It's tight, but if you had a manifold that previously put the turbo high and up front, you could feasibly flip the manifold and mount the turbo low and near the back... might need an electric water pump or relocated alternator at that point, but hey, options are always good. :)