Your thoughts on a better Clutch....

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
Well guys, my clutch just started slipping. I can't go past 3-4k now. I have plans to order a new clutch line from HPF, a Spec stage 3 clutch kit, and a Jun flywheel. Or I can just get the Exedy Single Plate - Hyper and call it a day. I just want to get some thoughts about any of your experiences with the clutches that you are running at the moment. Even ones that you have ran through, or at least tried out. Ofcourse you can let me know what you think of my future set-up as well. -Tom :1zhelp:

Last edited:
I

itr206

I have a clutch specialties at the moment. Same as ACT but sprung disc.
Hooks great and handles a beating. We will see how it does with x2 the tq though.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
I'm running the RPS Maxx series StgIII with the 3200lb pressure plate and it GRABS...

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
itr206 said:
I have a clutch specialties at the moment. Same as ACT but sprung disc.
Hooks great and handles a beating. We will see how it does with x2 the tq though.

What mods are u running on the car? About how much would you say your putting down to the rear wheels?

GrimJack said:
I'm running the spec stage 3... 2 years and going, so far.

I was going to order one from HPF, does the kit come with a pressure plate and not just the clutch? your mods and hp?

7M-GTE said:
I'm running the RPS Maxx series StgIII with the 3200lb pressure plate and it GRABS...

I've heard alot about people having problems with their tranny after running the RPS 3200lb. How long have you ran the clutch?

:evil3: -Tom

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The kit comes with both, but don't bother. Pick up the disk alone, then get a stock pressure plate from Toyota, it's the same unit and cheaper.

My mods... I'll cut and paste from my Gallery entry:
Engine Specifications:

* 7M-GTE, rebuilt by me!
* Clevite main, rod bearings, and thrust washers
* Hastings rings
* HKS Metal head gasket
* ARP Head bolts
* Silicone hose kit
* Solid engine mounts

Turbocharger & Induction:

* 62-1 CT26 turbo upgrade
* Custom mandrel bent intercooler pipes
* HKS SSQV Blow off valve
* Spearco Intercooler

Fuel & Tuning:

* Full Throttle Motorsports Mass Air Flow Translator (MAFT)
* 3" GM Mass Air Flow sensor

Exhaust:

* BIC Divorced downpipe
* Custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust
* 3" In and out Magnaflow exhaust

Still don't know the power levels, haven't been on a dyno.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
Trust_GTE said:
What mods are u running on the car? About how much would you say your putting down to the rear wheels?

I was going to order one from HPF, does the kit come with a pressure plate and not just the clutch? your mods and hp?

I've heard alot about people having problems with their tranny after running the RPS 3200lb. How long have you ran the clutch?

:evil3: -Tom

right now for a very short period of time... but my tranny is completely rebuilt since the day the clutch was installed... so far so good... I'm not sure what power I was running through it but I'm hopin that it will handle my 400+hp goal that I'm shooting for after all my parts...

I

itr206

Im sure I was putting down at least 300whp if not more. I am single now so like I said we will see how it holds. I was told it should hold 575 ft lbs

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
trdmk3supra said:
go with exedy man that is what I got and it is great. feels great and better response.
Your talking about the single disc cerametallic right, and not the twin? Yea, I had thought about going with the exedy also, basically thats what I had used with all my previous cars. Any chatter? How is the engagement?

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
Does anyone know if the Techna Fit Clutch Lines for the 7mgte will work for the 1JZ? I'm not sure if length of the clutch line will be an issue, I tried asking HPF, but they have no idea. :1zhelp:

eps

Mar 31, 2005
usa
The clutch line should be the same, 7m or 1j. They use the same transmission so no reason it wouldn't fit.
I have the Titan SS braided one.

Dew511

Apr 1, 2005
Q-boro, NY
I just put the HPF feramic clutch in today maybe 2 hours ago. I know. I know. Mad $$$. There is maybe 20 total miles on this brand new clutch. So far it feels very promising tho. Aside from blipping the throttle to get her moving, the rest of the gears almost feel like butter. So after full break-in, it should be very smooth. This is the clutch the should hold ~700 whp btw.

I also have a lightened flywheel and ACT 3200lb PP

trdmk3supra

LVNBSTLFE
Mar 31, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Trust_GTE said:
Your talking about the single disc cerametallic right, and not the twin? Yea, I had thought about going with the exedy also, basically thats what I had used with all my previous cars. Any chatter? How is the engagement?
no man no chatter and like i said it feels great and the engagement is smooth.

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
eps said:
The clutch line should be the same, 7m or 1j. They use the same transmission so no reason it wouldn't fit.
I have the Titan SS braided one.
thanks, I have to order one tomorrow. :icon_conf

trdmk3supra said:
no man no chatter and like i said it feels great and the engagement is smooth.
Dang.... I just ordered the SPEC stg 3+ and JUN flywheel today. Only draw-back is the JUN flywheel won't be here until another two months. Well worth the wait though.

Has anyone had/have any experience with the Exedy Twin disc?

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
You and I both :drink1: I think that there shouldn't be a problem until I go single, or with twins. We'll see.

Last edited:

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
well as many people know im going large (larger? pt70gtq) turbo... if it doesnt hold i have a deal with spec for them to MAKE it hold!