Your thought's and opinions on what you see...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Ok so a little back ground.

I've started to take apart my engine recently to replace the head gasket. Reason being is that every time i first started my car it would sound like it was missing as if one of my spark plugs was soaked in fluid.

So when i took out my plugs i found that my number 5 and 6 cylinder pistons were wet. Also on top of that the same day i had a problem with disappearing coolant. So first thing that comes to mind is a BHG So i said Fuck it no big deal just going to replace it.

Now that i have it ripped apart i've taken some photo's and a video for you guys to see and i have some thoughts and am curious to why some things are the way they are..

yeah i know my engine is dirty the head should be coming off today or tomorrow so i will have more photo's of the pistons and what it is on them for you guys when it is removed.

Now my main thoughts and concerns are

1. The fluid on the 5-6 pistons (witch i hope is just from the head gasket) But what else could it be ? Massive Blow buy ? or fuel ?

2. Why is the 5 and 6 ports on the exhaust side so much more dirty then the rest ? Assuming it is due to the failure of the head gasket in these cylinders but wanted a opinion.

3. The number 6 Intake port is quite a bit dirty compared to the rest.

[video=youtube;iW8sQT-NOss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW8sQT-NOss[/video]

Exhaust side of the head
p1839396_1.jpg

Intake side of the Head main focus is the number 6 cylinder port
p1839396_2.jpg

Number 6 cylinder
p1839396_3.jpg

Also i have drained my oil and it has not shown signs of being milky at all, just really dirty but i'm not surprised considering how many miles and how rich the car has been running. So i guess i caught it early enough.
p1839396_4.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Intake on #6 being dirty, my immediate thought is EGR. Also, this could be the cause of wet in #5 and #6 if somehow you are getting coolant into the EGR. No basis to back that up, but it's a thought that could bear investigation.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The reason #5 and 6 exhaust ports are sooty is because your exhaust manifold was leaking there.
Most likely, the rear studs are undertorqued due to softening of the aluminum around those studs.
The rear cylinders being wet like that would cause a visible smoke to come from the exhaust.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Dan_Gyoba;1839410 said:
Intake on #6 being dirty, my immediate thought is EGR. Also, this could be the cause of wet in #5 and #6 if somehow you are getting coolant into the EGR. No basis to back that up, but it's a thought that could bear investigation.

Exactly why i decided to make this thread you guys bring up stuff that would take 5 days to pop in my head lol. Thankyou

supraguy@aol;1839446 said:
The reason #5 and 6 exhaust ports are sooty is because your exhaust manifold was leaking there.
Most likely, the rear studs are undertorqued due to softening of the aluminum around those studs.
The rear cylinders being wet like that would cause a visible smoke to come from the exhaust.

Definitely makes sense.

Only thing is more was not smoking... Besides small puff of black smoke that came out when i got on it. Small enough that it could only be seen when followed not from a rear view mirror.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not EGR on intake port (as it goes through a port in your intake manifold and is released right behind the throttlebody).

dewme5

Apr 21, 2012
Panama City, FL
If you were ingesting coolant, carbon would tend to disappear from steam cleaning action.

Leaky valve on the #6 intake might be a possibility.

Oil in the cylinder could come from a bent valve .... maybe... but more likely a valve stem seal. Luckily, you are going to replace them when the head is off. Right?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
dewme5;1839465 said:
If you were ingesting coolant, carbon would tend to disappear from steam cleaning action.

Leaky valve on the #6 intake might be a possibility.

Oil in the cylinder could come from a bent valve .... maybe... but more likely a valve stem seal. Luckily, you are going to replace them when the head is off. Right?

Was not planing on it at this point. i was just going to have the Head Decked.

I got a complete valve job about 15-20,000 Miles ago. but if this is the case then i guess i have too.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1839470 said:
If it's blowby the IC will have oil in it...

Bent valve/oil in the cylinder WTF.... :nono:

NO oil in Intercooler.

And i assuming that it's not a bent valve by your comment Ian.

So this is where i go back to it being a BHG witch explains the coolant vanishing.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
AJ'S 88NA;1839472 said:
When you pull the head you'll be able to tell a little better.

I know i just have to wait for a friend who kindly loaning me good alan wrenches so i can pull out the head studs.

I'm actually hopping for a blown head gasket

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, are you leaking into cylinders 1,2,5 and 6?
I'd have the cylinder head checked for straightness while it's off. Seems like there could be a chance that the head is bananna-shaped.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
supraguy@aol;1840119 said:
So, are you leaking into cylinders 1,2,5 and 6?
I'd have the cylinder head checked for straightness while it's off. Seems like there could be a chance that the head is bananna-shaped.

I'm sending the head off to the machine shop in the morning

Poodles;1840132 said:
HG was definately gone...

Yup :)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I'm thinking some of the coolant in the 1 and 2 came from me taking the head off because i looked down every cylinder before i touched anything and they were dry except for 5 and 6.

I'm stil having the head checked and decked but just a thought i wanted to share.

Also i had about 3 bad overheats that i think caused this gasket to pop. (100% my fault not the 7M)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;1839470 said:
If it's blowby the IC will have oil in it...

Bent valve/oil in the cylinder WTF.... :nono:

Ian, are there any tricks to telling blow-by apart from turbo oil seals going out? I suppose a catch can would help take blow-by out of the question, correct?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Turbo Habanero;1840146 said:
I'm thinking some of the coolant in the 1 and 2 came from me taking the head off because i looked down every cylinder before i touched anything and they were dry except for 5 and 6.

I'm stil having the head checked and decked but just a thought i wanted to share.

Also i had about 3 bad overheats that i think caused this gasket to pop. (100% my fault not the 7M)

That's why you drain the block before you pull the head ;)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Even if you drain the coolant, there will always have some remaining. You can't get rid of it all, You'd have to tip the engine all around to get all of the little pools out (Kind of like you do when you pull the head off, but with the whole engine, block and all.