Your opinions on which JUN cams I should get...

Based on my post, which JUN cams should I get?

• Total voters

psychot|K

Dec 1, 2006
Houston, TX
I posted something similar on supraforums but I wanted to get your opinions on which cams I should get. I've got a 1JZ, big turbo, big fuel, etc etc. I saw that the HKS 2JZ cams are somewhat interesting: the 264's have a very little sacrafice in top end power but have a HUGE advantage in the midrange. Now, if the JUN 264's are the same way, then I'll definitely go for e'm, but I don't know forsure (especially since it's a totally different manufacturer, and different engine). Basically, I'd gladly give up 10 RWHP up top so I can have a significant improvement in the middle of the power band.

So here it is, what would you suggest to help me reach my goal, 264's or 272's?

Your opinions are very much appreciated.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
The larger a profile on a cam the more the powerband is moved towards the upper rpm's. If you are wanting to have the best driveability then you will want to go with the small profile.

I'm just talking in general, I have never changed cam's in a supra...I'm just talking in general for all cars engines and cams.

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
Talk to Chris at enginelogics here in Houston. He is extremely knowledgable about cam sizing, etc. He had a very lengthy explanation on why one should choose a staggered cam setup on SF, but the search is down.

Call him up at 281-933-2262. Very nice guy.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
The more lift you have the worse your idle is gonna be. But you'd be gettting more air into your engine. Take your pick. Just make sure that your valve springs can handle something with a larger then stock lift duration.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I just ordered some 272 small core crower cams from Zazzn on SF. I wanted 264's but they didn't offer them. They have 272 small core and 272 large core. I got the small core for the idiling and lower range hp. I dont have any need to rev up to 9000rpm.....................good luck.

psychot|K

Dec 1, 2006
Houston, TX
RHDMK3 said:
The more lift you have the worse your idle is gonna be. But you'd be gettting more air into your engine. Take your pick. Just make sure that your valve springs can handle something with a larger then stock lift duration.

Well, JUN says they develop all their parts to work with the stock components of the engine (ie. valve springs), so I have no reason to assume they won't work. I won't be revving past the stock 7500RPM redline anyways :(

ITR: Thanks for the name! You think he'd give me some info even if I don't buy the cams from him? I know some guys are real picky about that...

psychot|K

Dec 1, 2006
Houston, TX
RacerXJ220 said:
Show us a picture of your mods, or list them.

This thread needs that more than a poll.

Power mods:
IHI C7 (around the same size as a T04R)
Blitz 850cc
eManage/e01
4" ARC Intercooler
HKS SSQV (thinking about putting my old SARD back on though)
JUN cam gears
Greddy SP

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
psychot|K said:
I won't be revving past the stock 7500RPM redline anyways :(.

264's for this reason exactly.

You're probably wasting your powerband if you get the 272's because it will move it higher than you plan on using it anyways.

psychot|K

Dec 1, 2006
Houston, TX
inline6 said:
264's for this reason exactly.

You're probably wasting your powerband if you get the 272's because it will move it higher than you plan on using it anyways.

Very good point, I never even thought of that.

Keep the votes coming, people! It's really valuable to me.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i would go with the 264's just to wake it up a little and carry the power to the rev limit.the 1jz with cam's is a stone out of boost,but when it hit's HOLD ON.

psychot|K

Dec 1, 2006
Houston, TX
This is off-topic, but it's night and day between here and SupraForums... you guys are much more civilized & insightful. Thanks for helping me out so far & keep e'm coming :)

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
psychot|K said:
This is off-topic, but it's night and day between here and SupraForums... you guys are much more civilized & insightful. Thanks for helping me out so far & keep e'm coming :)

You might look into what 2jzmk3 said over on SF. I didnt look into the cam lift specs. If they are that high it could put some stress on the stock components and most likely turn it into an interference motor.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Anything near .400 (10.16mm) lift makes it interference. At that point, Crower recommends upgraded valvesprings too.

<--272 Large core Crowers/Springs (.400 and .403 lift).

Jun/HKS don't compare to the Large cores, and if you want big power on a turbo cam, lift is where it's at. On a 1JZ, with cams and springs, rev it to 9,000. Shoot, for the price of JUN's, you can have Cams AND Springs.

Save some time and cash and just get some Crowers. I didn't see those on the poll ;)

psychot|K

Dec 1, 2006
Houston, TX
inline6 said:
You might look into what 2jzmk3 said over on SF. I didnt look into the cam lift specs. If they are that high it could put some stress on the stock components and most likely turn it into an interference motor.

Yeah, but he's running the insane 10.3 lift 2JZ cams, totally different than the 9.3 JUN 1JZ's that I'm looking into.

psychot|K

Dec 1, 2006
Houston, TX
RacerXJ220 said:
Anything near .400 (10.16mm) lift makes it interference. At that point, Crower recommends upgraded valvesprings too.

<--272 Large core Crowers/Springs (.400 and .403 lift).

Jun/HKS don't compare to the Large cores, and if you want big power on a turbo cam, lift is where it's at. On a 1JZ, with cams and springs, rev it to 9,000. Shoot, for the price of JUN's, you can have Cams AND Springs.

Save some time and cash and just get some Crowers. I didn't see those on the poll ;)

Do you have any dyno sheets you can show me? I'd love to see the powerband you get.

Yeah... I'd love to go for some big cores and do some headwork, but it's just not in my budget right now, I've got other things on higher priority (just bought property).

Anyways, since JUN products kick so much ass, if I ever want to get the huge crowers, some head components and rev to 20,000,000 RPM, I can just sell the JUN's since I could probably get good cash for e'm.

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
RacerXJ220 said:
I coulda sworn north of 9.3 lift was where the motor became interference? Thats why HKS and JUN offered their cams just below the interference point at 9.3 right?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Probably right Inline6. It's somewhere between 9-10. I just know mine are interference, and they are 10mm.

If you want dyno sheets, man, search over on SF. There's an entire 25+ page thread on them. Search search search....

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
psychot|K said:
Do you have any dyno sheets you can show me? I'd love to see the powerband you get.

Yeah... I'd love to go for some big cores and do some headwork, but it's just not in my budget right now, I've got other things on higher priority (just bought property).

Anyways, since JUN products kick so much ass, if I ever want to get the huge crowers, some head components and rev to 20,000,000 RPM, I can just sell the JUN's since I could probably get good cash for e'm.

Take offense, you sound like you have an internet 1JZ.

You don't need headwork, even for the Crower Large Cores, even with 10mm lift. They were tested on stock 1JZ springs. And the JUN name doesn't kick any more ass than HKS, Greddy, Joe Billy Bob, or Crower.

The sarcasm of 20,000,000 RPM is a great way to say you appreciate any advice given on this forum....

You have no friggin clue what you need, and you just stick with JUN because of the name. You need to search, no more free help.

And when you go back to SF, be sure to thank ZaZZn for his hard work with testing all the Crower 1JZ cams for the rest of us, damnit.