Your opinions on these coilovers please!

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
I was shopping around for some coilovers for my car and found these no name brand coilovers. Now Im the type of person that always pays little bit more and buys the name brand parts for my car because i like the little extra security in knowing that i have a quality part. Now the only reason i was considering these is because the couple people i have talked to with these coilovers loved them. Here is the post from the person that is selling these coilovers so let me know what you think of these by looking at the info posted. Thanks!

Vanden Plas;4241212 said:
GROUP BUY
Fortune Auto 50mm beefy ass coilovers

I have been selling these to a few forum members and close friends in the past few months. So far I have ordered 3 loads (over 30 coilovers).

I have 2 sets on our track car that have performed flawlessly and we have installed them on the s15's. They drive like a freakin Cadillac that low on full soft. I am so impressed with these things I decided to become the exclusive US distributor.

Coilover Specs

• These are comparable to Tein Flex's but at almost half the price.
  • They include a 1 year Manufacturer's Warranty
  • 40-way adjustable dampers
  • They incorporate a 50mm piston (way beyond the industry standard of 44-47mm that Tien, JIC & Cusco uses)
  • Fully anodized (unlike Tein and Cusco that are partially painted)
  • Anodized aluminum camber plates on fronts
  • Custom valving and spring rates for an additional $100
  • Custom chrome finish on our "MURDA" Series for an additional $100
  • Height adjustment independent of preload so you can DUMP your shit while retaining full suspension travel

p1063722_1.jpg

p1063722_2.jpg

Coilovers come complete with spanner tools, adjustment knobs and brake line mounts on some applications

p1063722_3.jpg

Coilovers @ work on the track whore

p1063722_4.jpg

p1063722_5.jpg

On the s15's dumped low while retaining full suspension travel

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1063722_6.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
They're probably the same as D2/Ksport and very similar to the rest of the cheap stuff that's on the market right now.

So spring rates will not be properly selected or even have any rational thought behind them. And if they can't pick spring rates, then you know that valving is going to be off as well.

I would not recommend them. Unless you just want something that will let you slam the car and make it look cool but not handle/ride well. But that's not saying that most of the "name brand" JDM crap isn't the same thing.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
Thanks for the info. I was also looking at the Tein Flex Coilovers. Details can be found on the bottom of this link. http://www.tein.com/tech_info/l44.html
By looking at the info for the flex, do you think these are good coilovers for track(not drag racing) and how do you think they will feel for daily driving?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
it depends!

How experienced are you in math functions?

Finding out the base resonant frequency of the spring using the weight of the car for the front and back?

Valving the shocks when step 2 is known.

If you can not answer the 2nd question. Then let some one like Wiisass or Gixxer do a setup for you. The fasination with coilovers is quite entertaining. People just slap them on and go without one single forethought on what is actually happening.

start by reading this

http://www.optimumg.com/documents/techtips/Springs%20& Dampers_Tech_Tip_1.pdf
http://www.optimumg.com/documents/techtips/Springs & Dampers_Tech_Tip_2.pdf
http://www.optimumg.com/documents/techtips/Springs & Dampers_Tech_Tip_3.pdf

and pay attention how fast it becomes a challenge for the math impaired.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
And those tech tips are good, but they're still pretty basic in terms of what needs to be done. It's not the calculations that are the hard part, it's knowing what numbers you would want to see. I mean there are guidelines for different types of setups, but they're just guidelines and there's a lot more that will go into it.

But for a drag setup, it seems a lot of people will just run stock because it's soft. This seems to work, but it's not always the best. I'm sure there are gains to be had with a decent setup. Whether it be custom or a well thought out collection of off the shelf parts. People need to understand that wheel travel does not equal weight transfer. So a softer spring will not transfer more weight to the back than a stiffer spring. But a softer spring will have more compliance when it comes to wheel hop or any bumps on the track while launching. Also blown stock dampers are not the best, and I'm sure something could be done with a decent off the shelf damper that could make for a decent drag setup.

So for directly off the shelf stuff, I really don't know what's good and what's available. But I think pairing a decent OE replacement damper with the right spring rates could lead to a nice drag setup.

Tim

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
.... oh come on, this line right here immediately told me it was crap

"On the s15's dumped low while retaining full suspension travel"

It's not possible...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
derek-royce;1084510 said:
my set-up is cusco coilovers& im lovin' it :)

That's nice and all, but you provided no facts to compare with, so that statement is useless...

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Poodles;1082365 said:
.... oh come on, this line right here immediately told me it was crap

"On the s15's dumped low while retaining full suspension travel"

It's not possible...

What are you saying isn't possible? Having a car low but still having suspension travel? It is possible, when you stiffen the springs, you don't use as much travel as you would need stock, so you can go lower and still have more than enough travel.

But don't take that as me not agreeing that those are crap.

shaeff;1084516 said:
That's nice and all, but you provided no facts to compare with, so that statement is useless...

Thanks Chris.