your deck :)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
just curious as to what people choose for a deck. for a while i had stock 89' stereo and then went to a 2000 tundra deck, now i fit in a 06' scion tc deck (and it was a pain to fit in because they are so not meant to fit in my car, but i like it)

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I used to have this old aftermarket Japanese casette radio that the previous owner put in. Damn thing didn't get any north american radio stations. It could pick up a few TV stations though.

Then I threw in a radio out of my friend's 2002 Corolla. Plugged right in :). The rear channels on it were toast though. I used that for a few weeks until I repaired my brother's old HU we pulled from his wrecked car. It was a Pioneer DEH-P3800 I do believe. I ran that for a few weeks until he wanted it back for his new car, so I bought a used Pioneer DEH-P7300 (IIRC) for cheap. It's almost perfect. It looks so old and plain, nobody would want to take it, yet it has 3 pre-amp outputs I wanted, as well as an RCA input. Unfortunately, it doesn't play MP3 CDs, and it only has a 3 band parametric EQ, but I can live with it :)

So why didn't the tc deck fit in?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
the interior pieces, had to trim all of the plastic and leave the rubber. the deck is just... too thick of a faceplate im thinking, the brackets that i had from the 00' tundra wouldnt even bolt on unless i cut them

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I run an Alpine CDA-9830. It was one of Alpine's top of the line decks for '04 I believe. Reason I chose this deck is because I did some research and found that for '05 Alpine was cutting alot of features out of everything BUT the top of the line decks from that point forward. I'll post pics of it tomorrow. Looks really good in there, I just need to grab a dash kit meant for a double din radio, modify it, and throw a pocket underneath the radio instead of just a blank plate. I may get an equalizer though :D

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Pioneer DEH-P9800BT

It has bluetooth hands free... its the coolest feature ever :p Plus high volt output (can't remember the number) and all sorts of great features :)

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
lol @ justin...you know you can only receive calls right? oh and they're 4v pre-outs...same as my alpine. eclipse decks still pwn as far as pre outs go :D

I don't know who told you that you can only receive calls but that's completely false. its badass, I actually loaded my phone book off my phone onto the deck so if I want to make a call I just hit the list button, scroll to the person i want to dial, and press the buton....

4v, 5v, 6v, whatever :) as long as its not 2v

Edit: its 5v, just checked pioneers website

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
We did a little research and from what we read it was receive only...err wait actually I think that was on the...panasonic?? Yeah I think that's it. Anyways, who the hell makes a 6vpre-out deck???

I don't know, I was just throwing out numbers :p

Yeah, I heard the same thing about the panasonic, but again, I proved that one wrong as well. I think, if i remember right,t heir website says it can only receive but I've installed a few and you can definatly make calls.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
I am using a USDM Kenwood Excelon right now. It wont pick up any Japanese FM radio stations here, but other then that it works great. I will be putting my JDM Kenwood in though in the near future.

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
tlo86temp said:
just curious as to what people choose for a deck. for a while i had stock 89' stereo and then went to a 2000 tundra deck, now i fit in a 06' scion tc deck (and it was a pain to fit in because they are so not meant to fit in my car, but i like it)

Right now in the Supra I have an Eclipse CD5444, but I go through head units often... a quick run down as to what I"ve had in the Supra:

Pioneer DEH-P3000
Pioneer DEH-P4300
Eclipse 7301 double-din 6.5" screen
Eclipse CD8443, 8v preamp-out, SQ head unit
Eclipse CD8454, newer version of previous
Eclipse AV8533 single-din 7" flipout w/8v preampout and DTS/DD 5.1
Eclipse 5433, basic CD player
Eclipse CD5444, 5v preamp-out, good value

The Supra is like my testing ground for new head units that come out, but lately I don't really like Eclipse design, though their head units still sound very clean and detailed compared to Pioneer/Kenwood, and a smidgen better than Alpine. But if it makes any difference, in my Mercedes I use the McIntosh MX-406, which is a leaps and bounds cleaner source (can't beat 96khz Burr-Brown DAC) than any of the Eclipse units I used.

-Ray

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I loved my Alpine. Not the best thing available but it was as much as I needed for stock sized speakers. My favorite part was that the volume knob was just that, a knob. Some of the other ones I looked at just had up and down volume buttons.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Ouch man...why pay crutchfield prices?

why pay anyone prices lol

while working at bestbuy our discount was 5% over their cost... which usually meant a 40% to 70% discount on anything audio ;p they are stiffin us boys!

minus the decks with the screens that fold out and up.. 480~something with discount 530~ normal

Last edited: