You guys interested in 1pc driveshafts

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
figgie said:
huh??

i bark the tires in my supra all the time and it is far from the drive shaft since mine is still OEM 2 piece :p

what IS causing the barking of the tires is the 6 puck + 3200 lbs pressure plate. ;) As for AL shattering. Not at the levels of power we are producing. Perhaps in stupid HIGH HP apps perhaps.

thats what i am saying....some guy running 700+whp of course is going to break SOMETHING.....lol

and about the clutch, i slip it at about 2500 rpm to keep from engauging to harsh....the clutch is awsome though!

but i instantly noticed better drivetrain feel when i put it all back together...the car just launches so quick from a dead stop...spins all of first gear, or if the road is right...the tires just grip!

I am a firm believer in lightend 1pc units. they are so worth the money! :bowdown:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Siman: A quick correction a driveshaft no matter what it's made from even "unobtainium" doesn't "make" either Hp or Tq all it does is transfer it.

I think a CB/CV joint would need to be really really stuffed to cause any parasitic loss that you would notice on the bum dyno!

If you changed from a stock gumby clutch to a 6 puck I think that's what's giving you the impression that it's power from the shaft :)!

Last edited:

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
But IJ, there is less ROTATIONAL mass...i can engine break alot quicker...take it from me...going from a completely stock supra turbo to a full rebuild....there is a world fo difference in the feeling of the car!

the suprasport driveshaft i have is around 14lbs if i am not mistaken...i still have my stock 2 pc. and it weighs at LEAST twice as much! Just by picking it up, you know there is NO ADDED hp....but there is more HP TRANSFERED to the ground!...I know what you ment IJ, LOL :bigthumb:

Again, if you buy the shafts weather it may be a joe schmo shop down the street that makes custom half shafts or drive shafts...you will feel the difference :icon_cool

But thanks for clarifying your point IJ, this is a good thread we shouldnt mess up with bad info!

and i laughed really hard at "unobtanium"....that was really funny! :rofl:

-Jonathan

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
LOL again I don't think "rotational mass" will make much of a difference as it's only a 3" tube ;) (think moment of inertia and all of the mind blowing physics involved, it's before 6am here and if I think too hard my brain will explode)

I really do think a lot of the perceived "gains" are placebo but it makes great sense if your stock CB/CV is dying a one piece would be a smart move!

"Unobtainium" is something I picked up while working with mountain bikers ;)!!

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
IJ. said:
LOL again I don't think "rotational mass" will make much of a difference as it's only a 3" tube ;) (think moment of inertia and all of the mind blowing physics involved, it's before 6am here and if I think too hard my brain will explode)

I really do think a lot of the perceived "gains" are placebo but it makes great sense if your stock CB/CV is dying a one piece would be a smart move!

"Unobtainium" is something I picked up while working with mountain bikers ;)!!

very well said....

don't forget the majority of the mass of the stock shaft is the stupid carrier bearing....

about the only thing i noticed w/my old Al shaft was more drivetrain noise (2 pc shafts are commonly done to quell NVH issues...). though i'd like to have one now so i can put a loop in and be legal....w/the stock shaft you technically need TWO loops....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
drjonez said:
very well said....

don't forget the majority of the mass of the stock shaft is the stupid carrier bearing....

about the only thing i noticed w/my old Al shaft was more drivetrain noise (2 pc shafts are commonly done to quell NVH issues...). though i'd like to have one now so i can put a loop in and be legal....w/the stock shaft you technically need TWO loops....
Dr J: Any idea if your one piece had the cardboard damper inside it?
(in the past when I've made shafts and discarded them they rang like a bitch!)

B

Boostaddctn

siman said:
Mine doesnt make noise. Maybe there was something wrong with yours :confused:

Same here... no noise coming from mine... aight peace