You guys interested in 1pc driveshafts

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
Just to give you guys an update. I'm gonna be taking the cressida driveshaft in Monday afternoon. That needs to be done first b/c its a Hybrid drive shaft. W58 Front, and Cressida rear end so the whole thing is out of balance. I'll try to get the guys at the shop to allow me to take some pictures of their equipment. He said its a 2 day process but lets see what turns up. I spoke with him about a possable group deal, he says when I come in person we can have a talk.

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
Ok, If you guys don't mind, let me wake this thread up one more time.

Went to the machine shop today and dropped the driveshaft from the Cressida/W58 off. I have some good news and some bad news..

Good news is, the guy can make the 1pc drive shaft for the W58 and the R154 using the existing yokes.

Bad news is, the Price is a bit higher for supra shafts. When I originally spoke with him over the phone and told him its a toyota driveshaft, he expected the driveshaft to be a little thinner then what the shaft actually is. Meaning the tubing he was expecting to use is a little less expensive then the tubing he actually needs for the supra shaft. Total price for my Shaft is going to be about $190 fully balanced ready to go.

I told him if I try to setup some kinda deal where we get 10-15 shafts and have you convert them into 1 pcs, how much would that run? He said its tough to get that many folks to commit to do a driveshaft but if I can acutally get 10+ then we can talk on a price. Turn Around on this is about 2 days. I will have this one by thursday. If you look at driveshaft I have in the picture below, You will notice the Manual Part which is the W58 is thicker then the Auto part which is the rear. Also, for the auto guys, there is no deal at this time. The auto shaft is Crimped at the Yokes not welded. He says b/c of this, when he cuts the shaft it too think for him to weld a new tube on it and the shaft will fall apart. I think You can see that in the pictures.

Took some quick pictuers of the place, The guy in the picture is repairing a bent shaft.

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00098.JPG

DSC00099.JPG

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
Doc I asked him, he said he has to check with his supplier on the parts. He says the toyota Yokes willnot weld to the Alluminum shaft. so he has to check on aftermarket yokes.

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
For those curious I had this done awhile ago on my Mk2. It saved about 3.5 lb. It went from 22 lb to 18.5 lbs give or take. Its a major PITA to install as well. You've got to drop the diff to install it in the Mk2.

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
I got mine done last week and its already installed in the Cressida. total weight was 16.7 Lbs. The cressida shaft is about 6inches longer then a supra shaft so I'm guessing the supra shaft will be a little lighter.

As for the Alluminum shaft, The guy at the shop says his 2 suppliers can't get any parts for toyotas. So if someone knows a supplier that has these parts, we can see what we need to get it going.

DSC00096.JPG