You couldn't pay me a million dollors to do this once! EVER!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OVER 1700 foot free climb to the top with nothing around you at all to feel "grounded" to.

Who the hell could do this, try and tell me that just watching this didn't give you a very nervous feeling! Would you, could you, do this for any amount of money? How much money this guy has to be paid. And the physical condition of these guys must be godly.

I have no fear of heights....but I could never imagine doing this for anything.

55 Mile visibility from the top!!!

Then you gotta climb all the way down again!

[video=youtube;uhtgsAXmz7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhtgsAXmz7U[/video]

Last edited:

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
id do it, but then again i do maintenance on cranes and such for a living. climbing 160ft on a ladder isnt that bad if you do it often enough. i do 300-400ft regularly. i would never do it without a tether though. at 1700ft i dont know why they dont use a sap(self actuated parachute) system.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I honestly speculate what this guy makes for a living? It's gotta be high or he is a total fool because I know there won't be a big line of people willing to do it if he doesn't.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
That is pretty damn scary. I could never do it, safety harness or not. Gotta wonder how this not a workplace safety concern. Yikes!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
GrimJack;1617810 said:
Hell, I'd do that for free. Looks like a blast! Worst case, you slip and fall... and at that height, you've got a long time to think about your screwup on the way down. :)

You could not get me up there. If you did, I'd drop dead from a heart attack 1/2 way up.

<--- Does not like heights.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The vast majority of the clime in inside the tower, only the top is "free climbing." I dunno, I'd do it for a million bucks easily.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They're not considered "free standing" because of the guide wires, but they are the tallest manmade structures on earth. It all depends on the weather personally, if that fucker is rocking back and forth I'd freak out a bit...

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
GrimJack;1617810 said:
Hell, I'd do that for free. Looks like a blast! Worst case, you slip and fall... and at that height, you've got a long time to think about your screwup on the way down. :)

lol

They could have a parachute if anything for safety. ;)

and this.

flight doc89;1617868 said:
Did anybody listen to the video? Go to 00:58.

So, actually, it's about a 100 ft climb. Don't get me wrong, those guys are pretty badass, but keep it in perspective.

Agreed. I would do it without hesitation. :)

Duane

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Supracentral;1617824 said:
You could not get me up there. If you did, I'd drop dead from a heart attack 1/2 way up.

<--- Does not like heights.

Same here, I wouldn't be able to do anything with the money dead.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Flateric;1617943 said:
Another thought.....Why don't they get air lifted to the top by helicopter? Although the transfer from chopper to antenna would still be a bit to intense for me.

Movie crap notwithstanding, transferring someone by cable from a helicopter is a very dangerous move. Anyone who has sat at the controls of a fling wing (I have) will tell you, holding position is not as easy as it looks. It's a workout. Anytime you make a directional change on the collective, you get lift. You wouldn't believe how hard it is. You've also got to deal with static charge from the rotor blades. It's just plain old dangerous and unsafe.

(And yes, I'm terrified of heights, but flying doesn't phase me in the least, not even in a biplane.)