You all are gonna think I'm retarded

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
ok here goes it....

As with most of you I've always had a dream of building a car that will turn heads....but...I don't make the most money in the world and I'm always stuck with cars that are old and not dependable....rent is what ends up takeing most my money....well now I own the car that I never thought I could (supra) but yet its still old and not dependable at all and its my only car....lately I've been seriously considering going homeless over the summer and fall (basicly live in the car).....in the past when I was 18 I was homeless for 2 months and lived in my 86 toyota pickup and it sucked but it wasnt horrible....I have a place I can shower every day so that doesn't worry me....car payments are killer also...if I did do this it would make me able to clear the car note asap and could build me one bad ass engine...basically it would finally let me compleat a dream of owning a badass supra....

I'm never at home anyway...I'm always out doing something....I work 12 hours a day Monday-Thursday and 4 hours on Fridays....I sometimes sleep in my car anyway just because I don't want to go home....

I know this sounds really bad the way I wrote this out but I'm no author! I just know that if I don't sacrafice something I will never have a car I can count on and or be proud of.....I'm just tired of not makeing my dreams come true...

I don't have an appartment anymore cause on Xmas in 2006 I got laid off and basically lost everything so now I'm just renting a room in some old ladies house...the only thing I see changeing by me doing this is where I sleep for the 6 hours a day cause thats all I do there honest to god.

Now yall can tell me how stupid this is but I don't see any other way in a decent ammount of time.

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
Sorry to hear. My best advice is to live in the cheapest place possible until you build up money.

Don't worry about having a nice car, if you have to, sell it and get a nice place to live first.

Have you asked your parents if you can live with them? Describe the situation you're in and maybe they'll open the door.

Hope everything works out well,
Matt

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
ok I didn't word this right I guess...

In no way is this meant for pitty.....I'm just think that I'm so tired of not doing anything to make this dream come true that I honestly Believe that I'm willing to go to this extream to build my car!!!!

No I really don't have family....and only have one friend in Philly and he isnt into cars at all.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
In all honesty, I think your priorities are a little skewed. You have to remember that a car is a hobby, and I feel that while yes, it is nice to have a car you can take pride in, first and foremost you should square away your living situation...that means a place to live, utilities, insurance, paying your bills, etc....basically being a responsible human being. As was mentioned above, maybe you should consider selling the car and put the 'Dream Car' on the back burner for a while until you get your affairs more in order and are able to take on a project/hobby of this magnitude.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I agree with all that has been posted... Cars are not everything... I've had mine for 2 years and not done anything with it, and the build won't happen until I have the $20-30K i need in cash.

You're best to find yourself somewhere to live that you feel comfortable, have decent food on the table, pay bills, and then whatever is left, you should put aside so you can do with your car as you please :)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
can't sell the car its my only one.....and I won't make any money off it or atleast enough to buy a more dependable one! So in my opinion selling is a waist. And how exactly am I to get to work without a car????

Finding a place to live is easy...but I will never have enough money to get a down payment on an appartment if I keep paying rent at the place I am now...so any way you look at it I'll have to do something as far as limit my bills in order to do anything....liveing in decent part of Philly isnt cheap and I'm sure as he'll not going to move to a cheaper part of town were I will be a minority and have to watch my back!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
my job won't change.... I love my job! Infact I'm working right now makeing more parts for the blackhawk helicopters!!! The homeless thing will just be for the summer...think of it as a really lame camping trip LOL...but in all honesty if I did the math right it will get my car almost where I want it and the rest (paint, custom interior,) can all wait...I just want to convert to turbo and gave a rock solid engine for now.....and will let me save up to get back into an apparment again.....I'm not looking to build a cover car...just a car that looks decent and is dependable.

My liveing situation is fine I just don't like it...I liked my appartment....but I "think I'm willing to do something this extream" to fix all the problem that arose from being laid off...I can't see myself makeing progress if I keep have to spend all the money I could be saveing to get me where I need to be.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Living situation is WAY more important than a car.

This may sound extreme, but you will be a fking idiot if you "go homeless" just to build your car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
You work 50 hours a week and you can't save a little even while living with some lady?!?!

If I worked 40 hours/week in BOULDER (sky-high rent college town) I could make enough to live in a place with a garage and 750 sqft.

$9 x 40hours x 4.25weeks/month = $1500/month

Rent = $600/month
Phone/gas/electric/dial up internet/water... etc. = $120/month
Gas = 100/month
Food = 200/month

Now that leaves an extra ~450 to play with.... every month. For 40 hours/week.

Do you make more than min. wage? If not, get in touch with a wal mart or cost-co. hey pay cashiers about 8-11/hour with zero experience needed.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Holy crap. Find a roommate, forget the dream car. Have a home, pay the bills. Forget the dream car. Take the bus, do something!

Goodness you're retarded. (You asked for it, lol).

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
LilMissMkIII;952173 said:
Living situation is WAY more important than a car.

This may sound extreme, but you will be a fking idiot if you "go homeless" just to build your car.

I agree! But it would make a he'll of a story...call it project homeless lol.
like I said I've been homeless before sleeping in a truck at rest stops but it gave me the money to get my own place...I don't want to do this but its been on my mind alot lately....if I did it once I can do it again...

I lost damn near everything from being laid off...my only posessions are my car,my computer, and my clothes...everything I have can fit in 1 military duffelbag and 1 three foot rubbermaid container....I got rid of my furnature and tv's and well everything LOL....

t4boost

I gotta have my boost!
Mar 23, 2007
Arizona
You guys all tell him his priorties are all mixed up but for some of us the "dream car is all we have to look forward too. I would go homeless for a while if I was spending a bunch of money on a place I only spend 6 hours a day at just to sleep. To some of you this is just a hobby but to me, I live cars. My supra is very important to me cause Its mine , I own it, and need it so I have something to look forward too....

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Dude, sell your snakes. You can make a good amount of money off of them, use that money to fix your car, and later down the road, get new snakes. That's what I have done, and just recently did.

Status
Not open for further replies.