Yet.....Yet Another Lighting Question

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Members with HIDs either from the group buy with Ck or aftermarket ones, this is for the Kit #1 ( high beam only). Your HID bulbs, is there a shield for the bulbs??? Or there is just a long bulb itself?? Also, those that are using Hella-E Codes, does the housing says H4 in the middle of the housing or does it say Hella?? I have a set of H4 aftermarket housing i bought from a member not too long ago which also says H4 like the Hella E code that Poodle had post a picture of in this thread http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51010&page=30 , they are very good but im not sure if they are the Hella E code. Is there a way of telling Hella housing? Does it says Hella on the housing??

I asked because i have a set of aftermarket HID i bought and the housing from another member. Halogen H4 bulbs with those housing produced a lot of light and there is a nice cut off line. But with the HID installed there is a visible cut off line but above each line there is a spot, so i have 2, hence 2 housings. What i think is wrong is the shields from the HID. Either that or i will have to buy the right Hella E codes, but if the housing i have are hellas then i dont know what is wrong.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Here are mine.

p891533_1.jpg

p891533_2.jpg

They say H4 on them

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
ok, i have a different housing then. I dont remember my housing has that metal shield and it does say H4 in the middle but does not have E encircled printed like yours. Thanks for the fast reply and pictures. Now those with HIDs, can you help me verify???:naughty:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Well i cant say for certain but from what ive seen, (4300K HID w/ Hella E-Codes) I dont recall seeing a spot, maybe the car was parked to close to the wall.

I havent gone to HID's yet but if your going to get standard 4300K bulbs then you could just get the same Halogen bulbs im running. From what ive seen they produce an almost equal amount of light to that of 4300K HID's. That picture above was the cameras fault it came out dull faded white

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I had a set of halogen bulbs before using my housing and it was A LOT better than stock but if Hella housing are the best so i might want to get it later on. Maybe is will get rid of the 2 spots i have.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
HID Retrofit = ILLEGAL! and Dangerous!

The problem you are having is that Halogen lenses are NOT designed for HID bulbs and thus the focus/cutoff are wrong.

Do it right (replace the entire lens with an HID designed housing) or don't do it at all.

I'm just glad you are on the other side of the country and I will never have to drive towards you at night.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Yes it probably will fix your problem as i havent seen a spot yet on a friends car but again ti may have been parked to close to the wall

p891567_1.jpg

Those are my Phillips bulbs i had to import them from Europe not on sale here yet apparently.

You have to see them in person my camera didnt do them justice.

4vdi61w.jpg

These are on a 06 Civic same bulbs Low Beams

And same bulbs on a Golf
philipsxtremepower800x6nu4.jpg

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
wow! I'm impressed. Halogen gives out so much lighting???

Keith - its not like i want to put others in danger either, that is why i am trying to fix the problem. If Hella E code housings will give off a better cut off line and no spot like the housing i am using right now then i would do it. My housing are not ebay cheapos, they are great with halogens, almost exactly like the 1st picture that JDMMA70 posted. But with HID its just not too good. I have seen others with their HID and Hella and it seem fine.

Nobody wants to help me with the HID bulbs???

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
akito;891659 said:
seem fine.

The quote of the day.

Are you trying to tell me that you are smarter than those people that make their living designing headlights and vehicle lighting? or maybe just smarter than the people that make the rules for US vehicles?

The E code lenses are STILL designed for halogen bulbs. NOT HID bulbs.

If you want to improve your lighting then do things the RIGHT way. Safety equipment should not take any shortcuts.

The first thing you should do to improve your lighting is get the Hella E codes and a GOOD QUALITY bulb - not a cheapo bulb. Then do a lighting rewire to get the best possible power to those bulbs... http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Anyone that tells you that you can simply drop HID bulbs into a Halogen lens doesn't give a rats ass about anything other than the money you are going to spend. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Do your research... there are products out there that will let you safely and sort of legally install HID lighting on your ride. A retrofit kit is not it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
sigh...

The issue you're having is more than likely the cheap housings and that they are high beam only. High beam only will be just that, like driving with your high beams on, which is very bad.

Much credit to Daniel Stern, but everything you read on the internet isn't true. Side by side, my stock DOT sealed beams blind more than my E codes with HID's in them. Yes, the halogens DO give out a better light...in high beam, but as for safety I haven't had one person flash their high beams at me like my fiance gets in her STOCK Neon...

Honestly I think 99% of the issues are people not aiming their lights right, and with the increased output, it becomes an issue...

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Actually, the HID kit i have is not highbeam only. I actually have a kit that is similar to Kit #2 of CK BG. Maybe i should fix that in my first post. Well, i know this issue had been discussed many times and i dont really want to argue over this. Of course HID will works best with the right housing that was designed for HID but not all cars come with HID have projectors and the cut off line is just exactly the same. Thanks Kieth for the advice and JDMMA70 and Poodle for your pictures. I dont want any argueing ove this topic and get in troubble for it. If a MOD can, please close this thread before it gets nasty.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
JDMMA70;891551 said:
I havent gone to HID's yet but if your going to get standard 4300K bulbs then you could just get the same Halogen bulbs im running. From what ive seen they produce an almost equal amount of light to that of 4300K HID's.

Hardly. The HID's produce about 3 times as much light.
KeithH;891564 said:
HID Retrofit = ILLEGAL! and Dangerous!

The problem you are having is that Halogen lenses are NOT designed for HID bulbs and thus the focus/cutoff are wrong.

Do it right (replace the entire lens with an HID designed housing) or don't do it at all.

I'm just glad you are on the other side of the country and I will never have to drive towards you at night.

:blah:
We all know the Hella housings are not "designed for HID"

That being said they work amazingly well for the price. My benz housings wernt designed for HID's either, and guess what? I have never been flashed in the 8 months I've had them.

My lincoln has them with Hella housings, and guess what? Never been flashed.

My parents lexus has them with stock housings, and guess what? Never been flashed.

My sister's eclipse has them with stock housings, and guess what? Never been flashed.

The cutoff's might not be perfect in your mind but they DO work, and dont blind any oncoming drivers.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Thank you for understanding Ck. This is why i am trying to fix the problem here. Well, i will have to buy those housing to use the best out of my HID.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
The biggest problem with using HIDs in the regular square housing is that the they are not setup correctly. If you just drop some HIDs in without any shields, it will basically be like you've got your high beams on all the time. If you look at an H4 bulb it has two filaments, one that illuminates the top half and another that lights the bottom half of the housing. Since HIDs work completly differently, you need to get a shield which will block the lower half of the housing(the high beam half). You'll only be able to use low beams, but it's really the only "right" way to put them into your car without one of the fancy setups that physically moves the bulb in the housing.
HIDs are better in every respect; not only are they brighter, they're also much closer to natural light which is less distracting, the bulbs also last much longer and they use significantly less energy.
Ckanderson;892247 said:
Hardly. The HID's produce about 3 times as much light.

:blah:
We all know the Hella housings are not "designed for HID"

That being said they work amazingly well for the price. My benz housings wernt designed for HID's either, and guess what? I have never been flashed in the 8 months I've had them.

My lincoln has them with Hella housings, and guess what? Never been flashed.

My parents lexus has them with stock housings, and guess what? Never been flashed.

My sister's eclipse has them with stock housings, and guess what? Never been flashed.

The cutoff's might not be perfect in your mind but they DO work, and dont blind any oncoming drivers.

More than likely all those cars have different housings which will work. Pretty much any housing you get that will fit our cars will use an H4 bulb and it will not work correctly if you just drop in an HID bulb for the reasons I pointed out above.

Justin727

T-virus infected
I have HID's in my Tundra and I've been flashed atleast 20 or more times at night and once during the day. I will adjust the headlights as soon as I get a chance! The tundra has such a larger headlight that it reflects the light everywhere.

I will fix it asap. But I don't drive around much at night anyhow.