yet another 'wont start' threads

j3pz

still learning
as the title says. i tried to start my jdm motor tonight. i finally got everything together and tried to get it fired up. it will crank, it sounds like it wants to start, just wont. i lightly sprayed some carb cleaner in the 3000pipe, nothing. i can smell gas so im almost sure its getting fuel. looking at the boost gauge, its constantly at 0, no vacuum, so maybe something clogging the air? ill check that tomorrow. ill also check the timing. i searched for similar threads without any luck. any suggestions, questions, or referrals would be great. thanks guys, jesse

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
is your cps wiring, what year is your car?? pre 89 or after?
Harness side - /- CPS side

Red - / - Green
Blue - / - Red
Black - / - White
Yellow - / - Yellow

Try this. let us know if it fixed your problem

j3pz

still learning
i tried it again. i do have vacuum, im just retarded. the car is a 87, the engine has grey connectors(89+). i also checked for a code, got a 71 which is:
-a/c switch circuit
-a/c switch
-a/c amp
- tps circuit
-tps
-ecu

i did take out the ac so i think that covers the code. again thanks for all the input guys

j3pz

still learning
well today i hooked up a couple of grounds and tried to start it, no improvement. so i decided id try spraying some carb cleaner in the 3000pipe. i turned it over and to my amazement it fired a couple times then died. so with this im pretty sure i have a fuel problem. i can smell fuel when im cranking it, and the cold start injector was leaking before i tightened it so its getting to the injectors. am i right in this assumption? gonna try to pull them out and clean them. anything else i should try? thanks guys for the help so far

j3pz

still learning
ok after i didnt get any response for the last posts, ive done some searching. ive checked my injectors, ive got 12v to them. cps wires are correct. i popped the cps cap off and it was extremely clean inside. when i crank the motor, the spark plugs smell of gas. now its starting to fire then dies. help me please! i dont know what else to try

j3pz

still learning
ok im checking my cps. took it out, have the drilled mark aligned with the groove according to the tsrm
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=IG&Page=24

when i tried to put the cps in, it wont go in with the center of the flange over the bolt hole. it will turn a lil then go in. i have the crank set at 0, or atleast the notch is in the middle of the zero. i then looked at my cam gears and they arent quite at tdc, a lil off. ive never done the timing on a car before so im not accustomed to all this. with that said am i doing it right? should i be concerned the cam gears arent tdc? thanks for the help so far.

j3pz

still learning
ok i looked at the tsrm again, and got the cps in according to it. it says to put it at tdc and to do this, take off the oil cap, look inside and turn the crank until you can see the nose of the lobe. so i do this and get my cps in. i then looked at the notch marks on the cam gears and they are not at the top. like i said before, im new to timing and i dont know if the notches are supposed to be at top are not. thanks again for the help

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
j3pz said:
ok i looked at the tsrm again, and got the cps in according to it. it says to put it at tdc and to do this, take off the oil cap, look inside and turn the crank until you can see the nose of the lobe. so i do this and get my cps in. i then looked at the notch marks on the cam gears and they are not at the top. like i said before, im new to timing and i dont know if the notches are supposed to be at top are not. thanks again for the help
The crank pully should be on 0 the cams mark should be at the top (lined up at the marks) and then install the cps .

j3pz

still learning
ok guys id like to thank everyone that has helped thus far, but i still cant get it running. i redid the timing, crank to 0, cams w/ notches tdc, cps installed according to tsrm http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=IG&Page=23 and like http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38775&highlight=timing
i recently tried a spark test but couldt get anything (maybe im doing it wrong?). i checked the coil packs, get consistent resistance through them all but was not within spec, so i searched, found another thread with the problem and someone said they were ok, so i ruled out coil packs. so i began checking the ignitor via the tsrm
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=IG&Page=15
got 12v to it, but i cant do the second part as i dont have a 3v dry cell battery to use, much less how to make it work with what i must do. so i am asking for suggestions on what to do. in the mean time im going to go over the efi flow chart, check fuses again, and whatever else i can think of. thanks in advance

edit: plugs are ngk iridiums and wires are ngks
edit2: how do you guys perform the spark test? what do you ground them to?

Last edited:

j3pz

still learning
ok. i checked fuses, all that are needed for the engine are fine. checked resistance on the cps, all within spec. tried to do the spark test still nothing. the only thing i havnt been able to check is the ignitor but previous owner replaced orignal one. i put the original back on still nothing. as far as the spark test, im not sure im grounding it right, can i just lay it on a bolt, do i need aligator clips? ill prolly buy some aligator clips. thanks again guys