YAY!! I got my head back today!!

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I got a call that the machine shop was done with the head off my JDM 7M. It did not cost me as much as I thought it would. Here are some pics I thought I would show it off. Now the mad rush of reassembly begins.

p956406_1.jpg

p956406_2.jpg

p956406_3.jpg

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Measure everything before you just put it on.
Just in case.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep! Check all of your valve shim clearances...lot easier to do it now (with it off the motor), especially if you need new shims ;)

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I had the bottom milled flat, new valve seals and I took the Toyota factory manual to him and he shimmed it for me and did the valve job as per the manual. He cleaned it up real nice too which I guess is part of the process anyway. $269.00 is what it cost me. I was expecting a higher price then that really.

The shop in town that specializes in Toyotas that I take all my cars too high recomended this shop over any other in town.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
In the 1st picture is it only resting on cardboard, or is there foam or something underneath?
Easy way to bend valves, be nice to the head. ;)

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I have been reading this debate on the board about new head bolts vs. using the old ones over. I decided to get the new arp bolts but $100.....yikes!! That hurts!

So I guess if ARP bolt kit is advertised as being for the 7MGTE it is the same for the 7MGE as well correct?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
AW11inVa;956856 said:
I have been reading this debate on the board about new head bolts vs. using the old ones over. I decided to get the new arp bolts but $100.....yikes!! That hurts!

So I guess if ARP bolt kit is advertised as being for the 7MGTE it is the same for the 7MGE as well correct?

As far as I know, you're never supposed to use the OEM bolts again.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
87mgte;957035 said:
As far as I know, you're never supposed to use the OEM bolts again.
If the OEM bolts are in good shape - why not? They are reusable. It is just good measure to use new bolts - or ARP's if you are looking to do more.

Remember, never is a powerful word.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Setheroo;957085 said:
If the OEM bolts are in good shape - why not? They are reusable. It is just good measure to use new bolts - or ARP's if you are looking to do more.

Remember, never is a powerful word.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearin something about how the stock bolts were torqued to their "stretch point", and how it'd be basically useless to use em again because they'd just back out again. Then again, I might just be makin this up right now because of how incredibly tiring work was... gettin off at 10:30 on a Friday night kinda ruins your day AND what could have been a good night. Sorry for the rambling.

Well either way, ARP's are a good measure no matter what.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
AW11inVa;957239 said:
Thats the first I have heard of it. Whats that all about?

7M heads have a bad habit of annealing.

87mgte;957509 said:
I'm pretty sure I remember hearin something about how the stock bolts were torqued to their "stretch point", and how it'd be basically useless to use em again because they'd just back out again. Then again, I might just be makin this up right now because of how incredibly tiring work was... gettin off at 10:30 on a Friday night kinda ruins your day AND what could have been a good night. Sorry for the rambling.

Well either way, ARP's are a good measure no matter what.

Nope our headbolts aren't TTY.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
The head bolts aren't TTY but that doesn't mean a previous owner didn't get too aggressive torquing them down. It is best to measure all the bolts to check for necking. Necking signifies yield force has been applied and plastic deformation has occurred. At this point, file them in the round bin and buy some ARP's.