Yanked a Wankel this weekend...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dirty thread title aside, gotta say this was probably the easiest engine pull I've ever been a part of. 1987 Rx7 5 speed, the biggest problem I think we ran into was the oil cooler not coming out without pulling the AC condenser. Took us (complete newbs at this job) about 6 hours if you include lunch and standing around time. Could probably do it again in 2 hours if we had to do it again.

I see now, why Supra guys consider the oil cooler on this thing an upgrade, it's HUGE compared to ours! Oh, and that AC condenser? Was packed full of dirt, leaves, bugs, other crap... who knows what all came out of that thing, but I can imagine it'll run a bit cooler with that out of the way.

All in all, had a good bit of fun, it's kinda refreshing to work on someone ELSE'S car for a change. :p

Might have some pictures to post, I'll have to look over the camera when I get home...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you get it down to the bare block you dont even need a cherry picker. Just 2 dudes. mlol.

NMice.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Lol, its basically an oil cooled engine- the coolant does little for the keg. Why'd ya pull toe oil cooler out? Could've just unbolted the banjo bolts... :p

The car I rode in before I did up the Supra was a 1990 N/A- ran an 11!

...in the 1/8th. Said "Never again" and started building the Supra

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Thought I had posted up that info... was trying to pull the banjo bolts on the oil cooler (nice and easy to reach without that stupid AC crap in the way too!), but I believe they are a 23mm head. That is one of the ONLY metric sized tools that I just don't have. So, it just got pulled out, stuck on top of the engine, and yanked it out.

Was gonna do the bar/chain/2 people trick if we couldn't get our hands on a picker. I work at a rigging shop, so this sort of job is cake walk for me. :)

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Lol, I remember that odd sized bolt. Couldn't figure out why they would use such an odd size, but there has to be a reason toolmakers put it in the kit, right? ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Yeah, just one that I've never ran into on a Supra or Miata, so I never needed one. Honestly, my entire tool kit could fit in a glovebox of a Mk3, and it's been MORE than enough to do 99% of the jobs I've done on other cars too. Just have a hard time spending the money that it costs for ONE single wrench. Shit gets expensive when you start buying like that...

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I've pulled a 12a and 5 speed out of an RX4 in an hour, they're also light enough for two people to carry and they also fit in a regular sedan boot/trunk. useless Mazda rotary engine facts.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I believe it. Exploring the idea of using a Renesis/6 speed in the 7 replica I plan on building in the future... don't need torque for something that weighs just over half a ton!

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
One of my favourite cars of all time is the second generation RX7. A very under rated vehicle, light, very nimble and very fast stock as a turbo/5 speed.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sadly, his car is faster than mine until I get going about 50-60mph... gotta love light weight and aggressive gears! :)