WTF moment on freeway, help car dies!

lil_dcb7

MKIII Monarch
Dec 27, 2005
San Diego, CA
I was on the free way and all of a sudden my Supra just dies on me. i didnt even notice it untill i had to change lanes... I wonder how long the car was coasting for :confused:

so i engaged the clutch and started the car in fifth gear and it ran untill i got off the free way. When i came to the stop light, the car just died. i was like WTF?

so i start the car, it starts, then immediately dies again WTF?

So i start it again, and i keep it above 2K (im sitting at stop lights and stop signs revving at 2k that probably made me look really stupid)

i luckily got it in my drive way, and it died. I started it, and when i rev, it sputters. when i let off the gas, it dies. no check engine light or anything

help...

Gracias...

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
do you see any smoke or anything like that?? more details would help also......... but if theres no smoke or anything like that it coupld be the TPS or a large vaccuum leak somewhere..........

Luda

Dec 3, 2006
Virginia
vacuum leak, ive had this problem with all 3 of the cars i've owned. check all your lines, if you can hear anything run you hand slowly over them and see if you can feel any air, a friend reving it to 2 grand would help you figure out where the leak is coming from

lil_dcb7

MKIII Monarch
Dec 27, 2005
San Diego, CA
i have lots of people telling me its a fuel pump. my dad also told me it was a vaccum leak though.

no, there is no smoke, (not that I have seen)

And the smell of gasoline is really apparent, its not overwhelming, but its there and i can smell it.

lil_dcb7

MKIII Monarch
Dec 27, 2005
San Diego, CA
If any of you were here, i would let you smack me...

a week or two ago, i replaced the PS pump, and i had to take out the intake plumbing (the rubber tubing)

and when i reinstalled it. i just realized today that i didnt put the bracket bolt!!

so the intake canister hit the exhaust manifold, and melted a golf ball size hole in the canister. so yeah massive vaccum leak. we covered it with industrial tape, much tougher than duct tape. just a temporary fix that lets me get to the junk yard tomorrow! :nono: After we fixed the hole, it ran like a champ!

thanks peoples!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
woo! i had a doh! moment when i forgot to plug my AFM back in after I had done some work on the car. had no idea what was wrong when it idled rough and kept dying, til i rememberd that.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
My NA died on the freeway within a week after the warranty ran out. It wouldn't start. It got towed to a dealer. The dealer replaced the entire distrubuter for free.

But your problem sounds like it could be the ignitor. My wife's Cressida died when at a stop light. It started about an hour later, then died again going up a hill to get it home. It started again and I finally got it home.

I replaced the ignitor to fix the problem.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
get your altenator checked. You prolly blew an alternator and it stopped charging the battery. The car died once battery ran out of juice.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Haha, you guys should read the entire thread before responding. He fixed it with some tape, it was a vaccum leak. And now you guys are still giving him tips. Your intentions are good, but you're just a little behind.