wtf is up w/ 100amp alternator fuse

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Wow, I put "listened to them"...lol, I wonder what I was thinking.

As for torque...I tightened them as hard as I could w/out the screws stripping... I tried to get hex bolts to replace the screws, but Autozone didn't have any that matched and no way to adapt a philips bit to a 1/2in drive torque wrench...

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
johnathan1 said:
I tried to get hex bolts to replace the screws, but Autozone didn't have any that matched and no way to adapt a philips bit to a 1/2in drive torque wrench...
For things like that, Lowes, Home Depot, or any hardware store is a better bet. Probably cheaper too.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
johnathan1 said:
Wow, I put "listened to them"...lol, I wonder what I was thinking.

As for torque...I tightened them as hard as I could w/out the screws stripping... I tried to get hex bolts to replace the screws, but Autozone didn't have any that matched and no way to adapt a philips bit to a 1/2in drive torque wrench...

That's probably your problem, you probably made them WAY too tight. They are supposed to be 22 in-lbs. Overtightening will cause leaks.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Jeff's right Johnathan, you can't just go reefing down on those things. Fwiw I've also never used sealent and never had a leak. Assuming your covers aren't warped as with all gaskets success lies in the prep work and proper torquing. Change the bolts to either hex head or Allen cap. They're 6 X 30 mm as I recall.