WRITEUP: Gauge color change (With pics)

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
Well I got tired after owning 2 Supras the same green color in the dash and shift indicator (Both were autos). So I did a lot of research and decided to do a write up on this project.

I used a nice looking red color, which I got from a local HobbyTown. I also snagged a yellow for the future.

p832551_1.jpg

Changing the gauge cluster color

For this I used..

1. Phillips head screwdriver
  2. Hobby Translucent paint (Red)
  3. Smoked beef jerky (Optional)
  4. Small detail paint brush
  5. A bowl and lid for all the screws

Now, before we start, make sure you have all the items. I went to my local hobbytown, and bought the translucent Taymia (Sp) paint used for taillights on small R/C cars, or models. I'm not sure how any other paints will turn out, so ask others for advice on that.

Also, for those of you who have the indiglo faced gauges, I assume this will change the needle color if you have been wondering.

Also note there are many ways to do this, using colored wide-angle LED's for another example.

1. Start off by removing the climate control/ashtray/stereo surround. This is simply screws and pop-rivets, nothing huge. Make sure to remove the ashtray, followed by the 2 screws that are on top (You will see them) or it will not come out easily. Remove the female plugs from the male plugs on both the headlight washer button and the hazard light switch. Set this piece aside

p832551_2.jpg

NOTE: If your Supra equipped with an automatic transmission, this may require you to put the shifter in Low to remove completely.

2. Next, you will remove the 4 (or 3) switches on the left side under the dash (The foglight switch, coin holder, ect.) Remove a screw under the switch cluster (You will find it) and simply apply small pressure outwards to release all pressure on the pop-rivets. Remove the female plugs from the male plugs and once again set aside.

3. Now remove the Black piece above the gauge cluster. This is around 7 screws (4 or 5 on top, and 1 on each side at the bottom). Set aside.

4. Remove the gauge cluster. This is 4 screws on top of the cluster (You will see white things where the screws go into) and a couple screws on the bottom. Slowly and gently apply a decent amount of pressure needed to get the cluster to the back of the steering wheel. Separate the plugs and set aside.

5. Turn the cluster over to reveal the back of the cluster. It may look confusing but is very simple to do.

6. Remove all the (GREEN) bulb holders by turning counter clockwise and removing (There are 4 bigger ones and 1 smaller one) You know you will have the correct bulbs when you see a green condom on the bulbs.

p832551_3.jpg

7. Remove the condoms (One of mine was stuck on, and I scraped it off lightly with a screwdriver), but don't throw them away (You will see why at the end)

8. Now simply paint the bulbs with one thin coat of the translucent hobby paint, and once dried (Aprox 10 minutes) Add another coat. It should look like this. Be careful with this paint, IT ISN'T VERY FORGIVING ON CLOTHES!!

p832551_4.jpg

9. Put everything back together (Opposite way of removal) and watch them GLOW!!!

10. Take the green light condoms, find one of your guy friends (Or brother) and if they have a sense of humor tell them you found them some condoms that will fit them :D. I got a good laugh out of my brother, follow by a flying remote to the TV.

NOTE: When re-installing the gauge cluster, make sure the wiring harness doesn't get trapped within the male and female parts of the speedometer plug. This made my day long, until I figured it out!

Final product should look like this
p832551_5.jpg

Factory 87 Stereo FTW

p832551_6.jpg

p832551_7.jpg

Changing the Auto shift Indicator color

1. With the stereo surround removed pop off the black indicator surround. No screws.

2. Now remove the 4 screws necessary to grab a hold of the indicator.

3. Remove the bulb the same way you would the others, turning counter-clockwise and pulling gently.

4. Remove the condom, and paint with 2 coats like the others were done

It should look like this when complete

p832551_8.jpg

p832551_9.jpg

Changing the Climate control color

I'm not exactly sure how this is because I haven't changed the color to this yet. From what I've heard it requires more time, patience, LED's and soldering to the board.

-----------------------------------

I hope you all like the write-up. This is my first and hopefully this helps all the wondering people!!

-Matt E

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
My brain hurts when looking at the pictures. Epileptic seizure.
But its a nice writeup.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
looks slick, can you try taking a picture with a tripod and a longer exposure time? makes me wish i had done this when i had my gauge cluster out last month... maybe ill just take it out again :)

2turboZ

May 4, 2007
Buffalo NY
I might have to do this. Do you know if they happen to have blue paint for the bulbs? Also you could simply just buy the condoms in whatever color you want?

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
I heard that you can order different condoms, but I find it easier to just remove them and paint them.

Thanks everyone!!!

As far as the blue paint goes, I guess if Taymia (Sp) produces the blue translucent paint, why not?

I mean red works great, and is bright. Knowing that blue is a lighter color, I guess it would be the same if not brighter.

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Good effort but 194 style bulbs are readily available at any electronics surplus store in a variey of colors.

Check on ebay for #194 leds.

They just plug in and have built in resistors so they will work on any 12V input voltage.

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
I did it for mostly the people with questions, have been wondering how it would look, how bright they would be, ect. I have a video I will post in a few.

Not all bulbs can be #194, there are 3 different sizes 0_o. 2 different in the cluster, and one in the shift indicator. But I get the point, I'm going to try the #194 blue LEDs later.

-Matt

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
I think that it looks awesome and its always nice to have someone willing to share their experience.

ask a mod if they can move this to the reference tips.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
This doesnt look too bad. I like my BLue LEDs in the gauge cluster though, i didnt have to paint anything. But this is very good, the color looks more of red ish- orange ish. I like the color a lot, my next gauge im doing is going to be LED red.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Looks good. You can also change the bulbs on the fog, cruise, rear defrost, emergency switches as well and it would be cool if you did add that and also if you plan on doing the climate control and have one page with all the info but still very good info.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Good write-up, although LED's will offer much better color. Anyone registered on Supraforums, search "climate control" and "gauge cluster" and you'll find a couple of huge long threads with many many photos of this and how it looks.

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
7MsuprO said:
Got Pics?

Before
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Looks brighter than it is, over-exposed picture.

Climate control
Daylight
p833576_1.jpg

Night (moved out of dash and into center console)
p833576_2.jpg

Reason for moving climate control (8.4" touchscreen with VGA, hence the blue climate control)
sm_photo_missing.jpg