Wrecked RIP Supra Got a few Questions?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Heres a video of the car guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHdBA7oAKI

So i have a 87 turbo 5-speed that was wrecked.

I also have a 89 Turbo Shell that is AUTO

My question is can i just swap everything over including ECU? What all do i need to do ?

As far as the different transmission mounts go what do i have to do will they be as simple as just switching the part or will i have to do any major changes?

Last edited:

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I swapped my '88 manual driveline into my auto '90. Kept all the sensors, harness, ecu, and outer engine components off the '90 and just swapped it all onto the '88 motor. The clutch pedal wire must be jumpered to stay active so it'll start without the clutch being depressed, so be careful of that, but otherwise, the only other probs are backup lights and cruise control, and the stupid o/d light stays blinking on the dash. The auto ecu works fine with the manual setup. gl.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I just need to know what im going to run into i am swapping motor and transmission from a 87 into a 89 witch is a auto and my 87 is a 5speed. i was just going to use the harness and ecu from the 87 and also put it in the 89 will this work or will other things not work with the car? both are also tems cars

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
It will work just fine, every 89 I have seen has the early style plugs but they are gray. So it will be plug and play, however you will have to pull the headlight relay wire to the ECU or your headlights will stay on all the time. For some weird reason they changed only that wire between the years.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
JonoTurbo;1445532 said:
It will work just fine, every 89 I have seen has the early style plugs but they are gray. So it will be plug and play, however you will have to pull the headlight relay wire to the ECU or your headlights will stay on all the time. For some weird reason they changed only that wire between the years.

So using my 87 ECU in the 89 Is going to work?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
One question just to make things easier i wanted to just get the Manual ECU i need since the car is a 89 i heard there are 2 different types How do i figure out witch one i need to get ahold of?
Any tips would be great

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Turbo Habanero;1445603 said:
So using my 87 ECU in the 89 Is going to work?

No.

Turbo Habanero;1445987 said:
One question just to make things easier i wanted to just get the Manual ECU i need since the car is a 89 i heard there are 2 different types How do i figure out witch one i need to get ahold of?
Any tips would be great

A grey plug auto or manual ECU will work for a manual tranny. The auto tranny needs an auto ECU. It would be best to get an '89 ECU in any case.

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
i just did the 5sp swap myself. i ran the mt ecu for one day its actually better to run the at ecu. i ran into the problem of the mtecu retarding the timing when it got to operating temp and at cruise speed. you will make more power oin the at ecu also

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
dsm_tuner260;1446311 said:
if you dont switch the trans harness you will need to jum the nss at the harness. if you got any questions just pm me. gl it is pretty easy

Will do thankyou.

What exactly does that mean anyway lol.

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
on the auto tranny its got park safety switch if you use that harness you will need to jump 2 pins to be able to start it id have to look at the wires to know what color they are

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
dsm_tuner260;1446422 said:
on the auto tranny its got park safety switch if you use that harness you will need to jump 2 pins to be able to start it id have to look at the wires to know what color they are

Did you have to cut the fire wall for the clutch ? Or is it already cut on the chassis