WOW< Just got the bill for head work!!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I just got a email back from Jim (my engine builder) and here is what he had to say

Jim Hall said:
Hi Rob-
I forgot all about getting back to you!!!! Sorry-
The head is done-

-Valve Job, Assemble/Set valve lash $550
- Port work - Intake,exhaust ports, back cut valves $300
- Straighten & resurface head $180

I'm going to Brainerd on Thursday night and could drop it off if you're ready for it.

Jim:

Holy shit 1030 total!~!!!!!!!!!!! :aigo::aigo::aigo::aigo: for labor only WTF. Thats a far cry form the 550 he quoted me for rebuild with port and polish, The only thing that he had extra to do was cut in the over size valves.

If any one is unfamiliar with my build I had the lower end already done by Jim, H-beam rods, probe .040 over pistions, crank lightened, rotating assembly is all balanced with in a 1/2 gram, new oem oil pump, plus what ever else I am forgetting. All that was close to the $3000 mark. I know thats not to high of a price tag for the lower end, but again this supra is a driver, NOT a race car, no Nitrous, just a street car to drive around in.

Then It was time to get the head done! I went with 272 cams, 1mm Larger S.S. valves, BBC springs, AEM cam gears, port & polish, plus the normal rebuild for any head.

Again as you have read above, HOLY FUCKING SHIT GOD DAM MOTHER FUCKER.

This head is now over the 2000 dollar mark, plus the lower end witch was close to 3000 dollar mark, This motor (witch I still dont have a turbo or head gasket) Is already over 5000k for the short block!!!!!

I know I shouldn't bitch over $500 at this stage in the game but this is pissing me off. Jim has had my head since February of this year. That means it took him over a half a year to rebuild a head.

Well it looks like the supra wont be done any time this year :( Just wanted to update every one.

Sorry, I had to vent to some one thank you for listining

~Rob~

EDIT: Any one looking for a 02 gixxer in MN? Im going to "dump" it off CHEAP, since I have this bill to pay and dont get much time to ride it anyways. Yes I will kick myself later for doing it. Bike has plastic and tank damage but I have been riding it this way for 2+ yrs. PM me If your interested

Last edited:

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
Had the same thing happen to me. Took the motor for a hg job and to have alittle work done on the head and block. They said nothing more then 1000-1500.00 got the bill and it was 4300.00. Said when they got in there they found things that need fixing. Also was suppose to take 2-3 weeks. End up being 3 weeks short of a year.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
IJ.;1067441 said:
Rob: Not being a dick or anything but I have $7k+ AUD in the head alone :(

Try to remember it's 24 x everything, it adds up.

Wow, is this in your driver, or do you race your car? I guess $2k for the head is a hell of a deal then. IJ what do you all have done to your head? Im just trying to see how one can spend $7k+ on the head alone.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's more a weekend toy ;)

Brand new casting
Hard face welded Cams
Shimless buckets
Full Ferrea valvetrain
Cryo treated
Ported
AEM pullies

As I said it all adds up when there's 24x.

super supra dave

Oct 12, 2007
manassas va
how is the ferrea valvetrain? i got about the same set up that in taken to my guy for him to put it all to gether. and what cam do you have. im really exeited to see how the ferrea valves will do.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
it can take alot of time to do a good port and polish job. it shouldnt take six months though. anybody can grind away on a head, but not anybody can do it right.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
IJ.;1067447 said:
It's more a weekend toy ;)

Brand new casting
Hard face welded Cams
Shimless buckets
Full Ferrea valvetrain
Cryo treated
Ported
AEM pullies

As I said it all adds up when there's 24x.

New casting WOW I would have tought toyota would have stoped making it by now since we have "old school" engines.

Hard face welded Cams and Shimless buckets I have never heard of them, but again I dont get out much in the racing world :arcadefre

As for Cryo treatment I have only read about it (V8 mag. stuff) some people sware up and down by it and others say there was no improvement to be had. I will not pass judgement on it untell I use/ see it, but again vary nice.

Ya I'd say your head is 10X better then mine :)

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
It was kind of my falt I guess then, I should have doubled checked everything with him on the valve cutting. But again when I asked him about it (valve cutting) Jim said it would be much more since the head is already apart, so I figured maybe a xtra c-note or 2, but again not to double.

So I am guessing I am going to "try" and sell my gixxer. any one look for a 02 gixxer in minnesota? I am going to "dump" it off cheap. It's far from perfect, but I have been riding it this way for 2+ years, Just plastic and tank damage. But it gets good MPG,:)

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
92nsx- that is about the going rate for what you had done to the head. I just sent one out the door that I am sure the customer has 3k into it. My bill was half of that.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Holy hell, $180 for resurfacing? My shop doesn't charge over $60 to do that.

....ahhh 12 valves ftw.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Thank you Rich, I just didnt expect that steep of a price tage when he quoted 550. The last head I had resurfaced was $100 cash (maybe green backs were worth more back then LOL)
I wish, since I bought all my parts from you, I would have had you just do my rebuild :) But at the time I didn't know your were also doing machine work. :(

ya 180 is a little steep I also thought, o-well I hope his work is SUPER GOOD!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I just recived another email from Jim

Jim Hall said:
Hi Rob-

I made a mistake! The porting was included in the $550. So it's $550 + $180. Let me know when you're ready for it- IT turned out great! I also heli-coiled a few exhaust manifold holes because they were stripped.

Jim

Um.. sweet!!!! I didnt even know any exhaust thread were stripped :aigo:. (I don't trust helicoils ) But $730 is a lot better then $1030

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
1030 is not bad but 730 is even better!

who did the work?

Headworx out in bloomington? You got a good deal if they did the port and polish work for only 550.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Jim Hall is his name, Im not sure of his shops name but it is in chaska. I went to him because of a good referance (another member had Jim rebuild his motor) and when I talked to him he was vary confident, has been working on 7m's for 10+ years and said he has the best prices around. He also stated that he takes his time on his work so there is no 2-3 week turn around, more like 1-2 months. If you would like I can ask Jim if he is interested in any more jobs. PM you # and email if you want me to have him get a hold of you.